Inkheart

by Cornelia Funke | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by mrbrant of Chula Vista, California USA on 6/28/2004
Journal Entry 1 by mrbrant from Chula Vista, California USA on Monday, June 28, 2004
Bought on clearance from QPB.com

Journal Entry 2 by mrbrant from Chula Vista, California USA on Saturday, January 15, 2005
Good book. Since it was translated from German to English some of the words lost their depth, but in the end it was a good book. Took a while to take off. And the themes are a little hard to determine at first.

I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Journal Entry 3 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Received this in the mail today - can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Sunday, October 30, 2005
I thought this would be a good book to read around Halloween, but it's actually a great book to read any time of year. Twelve year old Meggie discovers that nine years ago, her bookmender father Mo read a book aloud and pulled some of the characters out of the book into his world. The main character of that book, Capricorn, has been trying to track down Mo ever since. Mo and Meggie seek refuge at her great-aunt Elinor's home in Italy. Meggie becomes acquainted with other characters from the book: fire trickster Dustfinger and his horned marten Gwin, Capricorn's henchmen Basta, Flatnose, and Cockerell, Darius the man forced by Capricorn to read aloud in Mo's absence, and the Magpie.

One of the things I loved about this book was the reverence that Mo, Meggie, and Elinor have for books since I can definitely relate to that! Elinor's floor to ceiling library sounds like something I would love to have (and her Italian villa would be nice too!). I also liked the concept of being lost in a book and Elinor's realization that reading a book is not the same as wanting to be a part of that world. I also loved all the book quotes at the beginning of each chapter. Many of them were from my favorite books. Thanks to mrbrant for trading with me!

Journal Entry 5 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Saturday, November 05, 2005
I am reviving jillmari3's bookring, which has been stalled since June, and ink-heart's bookring, which has been stalled since September. If you are interested in joining, please PM me!

My bookring guidelines are as follows:

(1) Read and send the book to the next person within ONE month
(2) Pay for delivery confirmation and post the DC # in your journal entry (US only)
(3) Journal the book when you receive it and again when you mail it to the next person

Participants:
1. enlith - North Carolina rec'd 11/28/05 sent 1/5/06
2. Ceili - New York rec'd 1/10/06 sent 2/14/06
3. momx3lovesbooks - Nebraska rec'd 2/21/06 sent 3/8/06
4. bookmaniac70 - Bulgaria rec'd 5/31/06 sent 7/1/06
5. niccijl - UK rec'd 7/7/06 sent 8/6/06
6. dodau - UK rec'd 8/8/06 sent 12/21/06
7. pfiffigunde2 - Switzerland (asked to be skipped)
8. nattiii - Germany (no response)
9. azuki - Florida rec'd 2/2/07 sent 2/19/07
10. babsdotter - Missouri rec'd 3/3/07 sent 6/1/07

Then back to me!

Journal Entry 6 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Sent to enlith today. As crazy as this may sound, we are having insane Santa Ana winds and the delivery confirmation receipt slid out of my pocket as I was walking down the street. I ran after it, but it disappeared in a flurry of leaves - no kidding!

Journal Entry 7 by enlith from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Monday, November 28, 2005
Recieved this late last week! Can't wait to dig into it!

Journal Entry 8 by enlith from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Thursday, January 05, 2006
Once I finally had time to read it, I really enjoyed this book! I agree with one of the previous comments that mentioned issues with translation. I noticed strained language from time to time, but overall, the book was so good it didn't bother me in the least. The biggest problem I had was mentally setting the book in the US (silly bias) and then getting confused at some of the geographical references since there wasn't a map. Europe as the setting makes logical sense, but I am not often as logical as I'd like.

The characters in this book are very interesting and engaging. I was amazed at how UNselfaware the book is, given how much of the writing process and character vs reader conflicts come up in the novel. I enjoyed it though. As much as I liked Sophie's World (Gaarder) I prefer to stay immersed in the story I'm reading and not to get thrown out of it because of book vs real life conflicts.

I put it in the mail today and the confirmation number is: 0304 1560 0004 7963 8473.

Journal Entry 9 by Ceili from Baldwinsville, New York USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Received today. The package looked like it had been run over by an 18 wheeler and the mailing bag was torn in several places. The post office had placed it inside one of their plastic bags...you know the one...the one with the apology on it. Fortunately, the book seems to have survived the trip unscathed.

February 14: I LOVED this book! It is filled with imaginative characters, both good and evil, and the whole concept was magical. I have Inkspell waiting for me at the library and can't wait to start reading it. Before I even read the book I knew I would like it, so much so that I bought both Inkheart and Inkspell for my 12 year old granddaughter for Christmas. I hope she likes it as much as I do.

Thank you, silverstarry for letting me participate in this ring.

The book was mailed to momx3lovesbooks today. The delivery confirmtion number is 0305 0830 0002 2200 4874.

Journal Entry 10 by momx3lovesbooks on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Book arrived today! Thanks for including me! I can already tell that it's going to take me a bit to get through it, but I will have it sent off within the month time limit, whether Im done with it or not. I'll be starting it tomorrow (almost done with my CR).

03/07/06-This book was fantastic! It was bigger then books I normally read, but it didn't feel that big once I started. I had problems putting it down and stayed up wayy to late reading just "one more chapter."

Sending it to bookmaniac70 tomorrow (03/08).

Journal Entry 11 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, May 31, 2006
The book finally made its way to Bulgaria! Wow,it has been a long journey! I can see now why momx3lovesbooks was worried about the post- it travelled almost 3 months! I`m quite excited by the great comments from previous readers,and hope to get the same wonderful experience with this book.

Journal Entry 12 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, June 12, 2006
Started reading.What a wonderful book! It got me hooked from the first page! I cannot wait to sit and see what happens next.

Journal Entry 13 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Like the readers before me,I fell under the spell of this wonderful book.I loved it! I liked very much the fact that the story was about books, writers,booklovers,book characters,libraries and etc. I found so many nice passages with profound thoughts about books which may serve very well as citations on BC home page:-)). I liked all the characters in the story,especially Meggie,Mortimer,Elinor,and Farid. I only wished that the characters of Capricorn and Resa (Meggie`s mother) were more developed. For example, I wished to know about Resa`s life with Capricorn; how he came to like her and what did she live through with him.Also,the evil side of Capricorn could have been described in more detail (God,I feel bad saying this!:-)).

A wonderful book for children and grown-ups alike,written with great love of literature and written word.Thanks for the opportunity to read it,it was really a great reading experience!

PM sent to next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Saturday, July 01, 2006
Mailed today to niccijl.

Journal Entry 15 by niccijl from Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 07, 2006
Received safely today. I have a couple of books in front of this one but shouldn't take too long. I'm looking forward to this one. Will journal again once finished.

Journal Entry 16 by niccijl from Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 06, 2006
I enjoyed this very much, extremely well written and beautifully drawn. Loved the book quotes with each chapter which I thought gave it a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing this. It is now on its way to dodau.

Journal Entry 17 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Arrived yesterday. Next to be read

Journal Entry 18 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 14, 2006
Great book. I loved it and could hardly put it down. I have the sequel here and I'm starting it tonight. I've pmed the next person on the list and offered her both so I will send one or two as she/he decides.

Journal Entry 19 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Apologies to everyone for the delay with this. I pmed the person after me a couple of weeks ago but with the end of the holidays didn't chase it up. I have pmed them again now and if I don't hear back by the weekend I will go onto the next person.

Journal Entry 20 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 12, 2006
Pmed the next but one person today

Journal Entry 21 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 12, 2006
Still trying to find someone who wants to take this off my hands

Released 13 yrs ago (12/21/2006 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Journal Entry 23 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, February 02, 2007
The book has made it safely across the Atlantic again, this time sailing considerably faster.
I have to admit that this year my bookrings reading has been rather crazy: I had 9, then down to 3, now this is the 6th ring currently in my hand. I will do my best to get to it as soon as I can. Thanks dodau for sending it and silverstarry for sharing.

Journal Entry 24 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, February 19, 2007
This book reminds me of The Neverending Story. Both are originally in German, about a child who loves to read, and about merging the line between reader and story characters, fiction and reality.

The story is very interesting, although for some reason I have a hard time placing the story in modern time. I look forward to seeing the movie, with my favorite Brandon Fraser as Mo!

Will be shipping out to babsdotter in a few days.

Journal Entry 25 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Saturday, March 03, 2007
It's here safe and sound. I look forward to reading it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 26 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Very interesting concept. One most children have probably imagined from time to time but this was the first time I've ever seen it actually written. It's a nice fairy tale, but it is especially refreshing to see the love of books come through. I'll be sending this back to silverstarry next. Many thanks for reviving this bookring.

Journal Entry 27 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Friday, June 01, 2007
Hey, I finally got this in the mail back to silverstarry. Sorry it took me so long. PO tracking # 03070020000483641800.

Journal Entry 28 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007
This bookring has arrived safely back home! Thanks to all the participants!

Released 2 yrs ago (8/27/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library at 35232 Cornwall Place in Newark, California USA

Released this book into a Little Free Library - happy travels!

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers who are sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep, or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. We would be delighted if you would make a journal entry to say you have found the book. It is fun for other readers of this book to see where the book has traveled-sometimes around the world!

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. Hope you enjoy reading this book!

For more locations of little free libraries in the Bay Area, check out http://BerkeleyLFL.wordpress.com