Rock Springs

by Richard Ford | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Isabel-Batteria of San Juan, Puerto Rico USA on 6/27/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Isabel-Batteria from San Juan, Puerto Rico USA on Sunday, June 27, 2004
I plan to read this book on my way to Boston (on my way to France). If I finish it then, I will try to give it directly to a stranger at the airport in Boston, probably someone waiting for the same plane as me. I'll try to spot readers-while-waiting, maybe someone reading a magazine (it will help the person; I don't expect a magazine to be of great help in an 8-hour trip). It will serve as an experiment: I want to know the stranger's reaction when I hand him or her the book. Besides, it will be a new experience for us both. I expect to have read the book when I arrive to France, so I will then post my real opinions about the book.

If you want a little history about the book, I bought it for a quarter at a mall's bookstore I used to work in, here in Puerto Rico. I bought it just because the author is a Pulitzer-winner, and I respect that prize, especially after reading Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes". Sometimes I am sorry for authors whose books are sold at bookstores' buy-me-or-die sales, especially when they are local authors. I suppose this Richard Ford guy doesn't care (he's a paid writer already), but I wonder what would he say or think if he knew that I bought two books of his for 25¢ each.

Release planned for Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at airport in Boston, Massachusetts USA.

I will hand out the book to an (obviously) still unknown stranger on June 30th, 2004, between 3:15 and 6:10 p.m.

Journal Entry 3 by nairb8 from Westerville, Ohio USA on Tuesday, August 31, 2004
I was given this book by a stranger in the Boston airport. She saw that I was finishing the book I had in my hand and offered "Rock Springs" to me for my next read. It was unexpected but very nice. I then caught a flight to Paris, France. I read some of the stories on the flight there. It is a good read, very nice for travel. I was in Paris for a day before flying to Bamako, Mali in West Africa. There I met up with a high school friend who is in the Peace Corps. After traveling around the country for two weeks I departed, leaving the book with him in Mali. Hopefully he will read it and pass it on to another PCV. The book traveled to three continents in only 3 days...who knows where it will end up next.