Morality for Beautiful Girls

by Alexander McCall Smith | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by over-the-moon of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 6/23/2004
Journal Entry 1 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004
The third volume of the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series.
I have become a sucker for these stories. First, I love the covers, not only the colours and design but the lovely velvety feel of them.

Journal Entry 2 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, June 27, 2004
Slightly more profound than the others;it gives more insight into Botswana, deals, albeit superficially, with the problem of depression, and Mma Makutse finds a vocation.

Journal Entry 3 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, August 29, 2005
Sending it off to schildkroet today, hoping it will be ringed and one day come back to me.

Journal Entry 4 by Schildkroet on Saturday, September 03, 2005
The book was in the mail yesterday. I really love this series! Thank you so much, silentmiaouw!

Journal Entry 5 by Schildkroet on Monday, September 19, 2005
Als Buchring angeboten, Teilnehmer bis jetzt:

-baghira-
captaincarrot
husky
enitsirhc72

Journal Entry 6 by -Baghira- from Enskede, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, September 25, 2005
Got it yesterdday and immediately started reading (although I had another book unfinished..but I couldn't resist this one :-))

Journal Entry 7 by -Baghira- from Enskede, Stockholm Sweden on Saturday, October 01, 2005
I finished the book yesterday, and I really liked it very much, better than the last one. Although I would have hoped for more cases for the detective agency, it was not such a problem in this book (that two 'big' cases were okay), becaus the rest of the story was so interesting and goo to read. I especially liked the development of Mma Makutse! And as silentmiouw already said the book was more profound than the others, you learned a lot about the Botswana way of thinking.

The only thing that seemed a bit strange to me was Mr.J.L.B. Maketonis depression - I thought there was really a psychological problem behind it, but in the end it looked like it was really helped by just giving him pills? (But perhaps there is more about this in next book..)

Journal Entry 8 by Schildkroet on Sunday, October 02, 2005
I forgot to make a journal entry before sending the book off to -baghira-. I liked it very much, especially the insights in the Botswana eay of thinking. Mma Makutsi gets more important for the story, and the leader of the orphan´s farm, Mma Potokwani, has the opportunity to tell what she has learned from her work on how to treat children properly. It all sounds so easy, I wish it would really be that way!

Journal Entry 9 by -Baghira- from Enskede, Stockholm Sweden on Friday, November 04, 2005
Sent to Captain Carrot today!

Journal Entry 10 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, November 08, 2005
The book arrived today - thanks to all! But I don't know right now whether I can read it as fast as -Baghira-!

Journal Entry 11 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, December 29, 2005
I read the book yesterday after reading "The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" first. When I got the book six weeks ago I tried to start it several times but couldn't find my way into the story. After reading volume 1 first this book was a pleasure, too - I realised that these stories aren't just detective books set before an exotic background. I'm looking forward to more books about a nice lady and an interesting African country! Thanks to silentmiaouw and Schildkroet!

Now the book travels to husky.

Journal Entry 12 by husky from Kürnbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, January 02, 2006
Arrived today savely, already started reading it! Thank you!!

This gets a higher mark from me than the other three that I`ve read so far. The cases are slightly more complex, and I think that it is a good move to introduce more complicated situations and even cases which Mma Ramotswe is not able to solve.

The book continues travelling to enitsirhc 72 soon.

Journal Entry 13 by enitsirhc72 from Bickenbach, Hessen Germany on Thursday, January 12, 2006
The book arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to read it.

Journal Entry 14 by enitsirhc72 from Bickenbach, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Like the first two volumes, I really liked this book. I loved especially the development of Mma Makutsi and her interaction with the two apprentices.

Shall I send it back to silentmiaow or do you want to ask in the german forum, if there are more potential readers, Schildkroet?
-----------------------------------
And here are the next participants:

Lisa-B
Piggeldy
Dani75
Lisboa06
Zoe1971

Journal Entry 15 by Lisa-B on Sunday, February 19, 2006
Enitsirhc72 hat es mir beim Meet-Up heute in Griesheim weitergegeben. Vielen Dank an alle, ich freue mich auf Buch 3 und 4 der Reihe.

Enitsirhc72 gave it to me at the Meet-Up in Griesheim. Thanks to all, I am looking forward to book no. 3 (and 4) of the series.

Journal Entry 16 by Lisa-B on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Two evenings and 2 mornings before going to work, and I have finished this book. I agree with everybody that no.3 of the series is better especially than no.2 which I found a bit disappointing after no.1.
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 17 by Lisa-B on Sunday, February 26, 2006
Having finished volume 4 of the series I would like to add that I especially liked Mme.Ramotswe's philosophical thoughts regarding morality and related topics in Morality for Beautiful Girls.

I am mailing Morality for Beautiful Girls & The Kalahari Typing School for Men to Piggeldy tomorrow.

Journal Entry 18 by Piggeldy from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, March 02, 2006
The two books arrived here today. Panic!! I haven't started the 2nd book yet, so I'm afraid, Dani will have to wait until the MeetUp in April...

Edit, March 23rd: It looks like it'll have to wait until May as I am in Paris :-) in April...!

Edit, May 8th: I finally finished the book, just in time, as tomorrow is the May-Meetup ;-)
I really like the ladies' way to solve the problems and mysteries, and it felt much more optimistic than the second book. Book number four will have to wait for a while, but as the next reader on number four is also on the list of this book, I hope it's okay, if it takes some more weeks...

Journal Entry 19 by Dani75 from Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, May 18, 2006
Got this in the mail today. I´m really looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 20 by Dani75 from Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, August 31, 2006
I just love reading about Mma Ramotswe and her No. 1 Ladies´ Detective Agency! And I haven´t really got much to add to all the comments from the readers before me. So I´m looking foward to another volume of this fantastic series!

Couldn´t get hold of Lisboa06, no reply to my Pms over the last few weeks. So I´m sending this on to the next participant.

30.08.2006: On the way to Zoe1971 by mail.

Journal Entry 21 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
I picked the book from my mailbox today and I'm really looking forward to reading it! I loved "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" and "Tears of the Giraffe"!

But, please, can anybody tell me how to pronounce "Mma"??

Journal Entry 22 by Schildkroet on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Mma is pronounced like you write it:Long "M" like a short humming noise, and a short "A" like in "after". A lady from South Africa told me so.

Journal Entry 23 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, February 20, 2007
I really love reading the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series, although I enjoyed the first two volumes more than this one. Precious Ramotswe didn't do very much detective's work in this novel. And they didn't find out about the small boy with the smell of a lion...?!

The book will travel back to silentmiaouw soon.

Released 12 yrs ago (4/10/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way back to Lausanne...

Journal Entry 25 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, April 18, 2007
my book came home! thank you to all the participants for taking such good care of it on its long journey, I have enjoyed reading your comments. Now it will be passed on to a friend in Vevey, not a bookcrosser yet, but you never know...