The Screwtape Letters

by C.S. Lewis | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by anais56 on 6/19/2004
Journal Entry 1 by anais56 on Saturday, June 19, 2004
Amazon.com
Who among us has never wondered if there might not really be a tempter sitting on our shoulders or dogging our steps? C.S. Lewis dispels all doubts. In The Screwtape Letters, one of his bestselling works, we are made privy to the instructional correspondence between a senior demon, Screwtape, and his wannabe diabolical nephew Wormwood. As mentor, Screwtape coaches Wormwood in the finer points, tempting his "patient" away from God.

Each letter is a masterpiece of reverse theology, giving the reader an inside look at the thinking and means of temptation. Tempters, according to Lewis, have two motives: the first is fear of punishment, the second a hunger to consume or dominate other beings. On the other hand, the goal of the Creator is to woo us unto himself or to transform us through his love from "tools into servants and servants into sons." It is the dichotomy between being consumed and subsumed completely into another's identity or being liberated to be utterly ourselves that Lewis explores with his razor-sharp insight and wit.

The most brilliant feature of The Screwtape Letters may be likening hell to a bureaucracy in which "everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment." We all understand bureaucracies, be it the Department of Motor Vehicles, the IRS, or one of our own making. So we each understand the temptations that slowly lure us into hell. If you've never read Lewis, The Screwtape Letters is a great place to start. And if you know Lewis, but haven't read this, you've missed one of his core writings. --Patricia Klein

Journal Entry 2 by anais56 on Monday, July 12, 2004
Sent July 12th to Laura0141 in Glasgow! I love it when the books travel far.

Journal Entry 3 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 16, 2004
Received with thanks :)

Journal Entry 4 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 19, 2005
Reserved for Nice-cup-of-tea

Journal Entry 5 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 06, 2005
I have *finally* finished this!

I enjoyed this book although I had to keep reminding myself who the 'Good Guys' were and found it very confusing at the beginning as I didn't know anything at all about it.

It's an excellent concept and very well written.

Will be going to nice-cup-of-tea when I have money to post it.

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, June 15, 2005
What a surprise! A completely unexpected book in the post, not quite sure why, but welcome nevertheless. I love CS Lewis, so will enjoy re-reading this. I have a copy somewhere, but I think it's with the books in my parent's attic!! Thanks Laura and thanks for the glittery stars :-)

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Really enjoyed re-reading this CS Lewis classic. The book reminds us that there are many paths too hell, not just the obvious ones! Lewis writes with intelligence, compassion and honesty.

Released 13 yrs ago (7/16/2005 UTC) at Stamford Arms, 62 Stamford Street in Lambeth, Greater London United Kingdom

Sorry, forgot to do the release note until now!

Journal Entry 9 by catflap from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2005
oops forgot to journal this collected it at the July bc meeting at the stamford arms has now entered the relms of mount toobie read for reading and releasing in the future.

This finally made it's way to the near suface of mount toobie so grabed it. This is not the quick read that you think that it will or should be but it definitely one of those that makes you think and contemplate between sections. A very thought provocing read.
This book has now moved to the relms of mount toobies husband mountain slightly further along the range will get him to journal in due course.

P.s. I like this one so much that it seem to have done a think which is very rare for a book and that is I haven't released it but if your interested ask me I may let it travel a little