Empire Falls

by Richard Russo | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by scarlett1968 of Jacksonville, Florida USA on 6/19/2004
Journal Entry 1 by scarlett1968 from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Saturday, June 19, 2004
I absolutely loved this book! Russo is one of my favorite authors. I can't wait to see how the movie version turns out.

Journal Entry 2 by scarlett1968 from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Friday, July 2, 2004
Reserved for LovntheReadn. Will mail out asap. :)

Journal Entry 3 by scarlett1968 from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 6, 2004
Mailing to lovnthereadn.

Journal Entry 4 by LovntheReadn from Brooklyn, New York USA on Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Just received this in the mail from scarlett1968. Thanks for the Swap, can't wait to read this.

Journal Entry 5 by LovntheReadn from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, May 2, 2005
I fell in love with Russo's writing when I read "Straight Man" during my Honeymoon last year and had heard "Empire Falls" was not as good and was a little depressing. So, I waited almost a year to start reading it. I really enjoyed it and am glad I waited so I wouldn't expect another "Straight Man." Empire Falls was an excellent book, not as light as "Straight Man," but Russo has yet again, developed complex characters with a great sense of humor who go through hard time, have difficult relationships and get into odd situations and trouble. There is always this hard to reach/absent and difficult father depicted in Russo's work and I have wondered what Russo's own father was like. If he wrote an autobiography I would definitely read it but would hope, for his sake, his life hasn't been as crazy as those he depicts in his books.

I am sure I will be dispointed by the HBO mini-series but I will watch it. Can someone really play the Silver Fox as he was written? How can someone convey all those Bitchy thoughts of Janines without dominating the scenes she's in? And, really, can Paul Newman really play the sleazy, devalish, yet likable Max? We will see.

Released 16 yrs ago (5/2/2005 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA

Sending this on to FuryIII for a trade.

Journal Entry 7 by FuryIII on Saturday, May 14, 2005