The Cat Who Went to Heaven

by Elizabeth Jane Coatsworth | Children's Books |
Registered by Seanan of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 6/18/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Seanan from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, June 18, 2004
First published in 1930, this Newbery winner lodged itself in my heart, and has steadfastly refused to be removed.

Journal Entry 2 by Seanan at on Friday, June 18, 2004
Release planned for Saturday, June 19, 2004 at via USPS in Posted, A RABCK Controlled Releases.

En route to Switzerland to live with or visit another Book Crosser.

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, June 30, 2004
Just when I am feeling particularly dispirited, the mail brought me a surprise book from Seanan, something to touch the never-dormant child in me - and full of lovely illustrations.Heartfelt thanks, Seanan (and also for the postcard).
I'll make another entry when I've read the story.

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, July 01, 2004
Started it last night and finished this morning before coming in to work. A story full of charm; all the characters are appealing - the artist, the housekeeper (loved her poems) and the cat. The Buddha stories were simply told and heart-touching. I will keep this at least until my grandson is old enough to understand it - though I may lend it to an animal-loving colleague.
Seanan, you have an uncanny way of looking into my soul.

Journal Entry 5 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, January 12, 2020
Now I have miraculously reached the grand old age of 72 (and even more miraculously, apparently in good health) I'm thinking that I should start letting go of some of my possessions, even those I am very attached to. So I am sending this book out on a journey, hoping it will travel far, starting with another bookcrosser in Poland, for her birthday. It comes loaded with love.
I will keep the postcard, which is one in the series of Readers by Harvy Finkle, Philadelphia 1985.

I received the book in 2004 and have read it several times. Since then, one of my oldest contacts on flickr (and later, also on facebook and instagram), turned out to be no other than the granddaughter of Elizabeth Coatsworth! And her mother was the first poet laureate of Maine. Isabella sent me these recommendations of her grandmother's works:
"The first is Knock At The Door, a fairy tale.
The second is The Golden Horseshoe, about a young half-native American girl who sneaks off the plantation with her dead mother's brother to guide her father and somewhat pompous all-white half-brother on their journey with the Governor.
Another I love deeply is 'Cricket and the Emperor's Son.' "

Journal Entry 6 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, January 12, 2020

Released 4 mos ago (1/13/2020 UTC) at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

mailing to Poland.

Journal Entry 7 by C_ at Krakow, Małopolskie Poland on Saturday, February 29, 2020
Thank you very much for this gift! My cat’s been already lying on it :D