Coffee Cantata

by J S Bach | Nonfiction |
Registered by jfaust on 6/17/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jfaust on Thursday, June 17, 2004
Another from JSB
Do give this a go especially if you're thinking Bach choral music is dull, boring or ecclesiastical- this one is none of those things.
It is a sort of tiny comic opera
Bach didn't wriote operas as his career was in the Church but he did write about 200 church cantatas which are dramatic music to play in church. Some of them do work semi staged - as do the Passions - our own English National Opera put on the St John Passion in 2000 which was very special. I can't remember another occasion where an opera audience sang hymns (sorry, chorales). It was a quietly intense night at the opera - there were one or two sniffles going on.

Bach also wrote secular cantatas for social occasions of which this is one.MUsic well worth getting to know

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, June 26, 2004
I caught the book in Chinatown, Manchester, but unfortunately I do not read music. Apart from that it has an interest for me as I enjoy Bach's music a lot. What I plan to do with it is leave it in another city later this year that I plan to visit, probably Antwerp.

CAUGHT IN MANCHESTER LANCS BRITAIN

Journal Entry 3 by jfaust at on Monday, June 28, 2004
Released on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at Nicholas Street in China Town on a bench next to p in Manchester, England United Kingdom.

already found by anonymus finder