Morrie: In His Own Words

by Morrie Schwartz | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by EllyMae58 of San Diego, California USA on 6/13/2004
Journal Entry 1 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, June 13, 2004
"Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live."

In these remarkable pages are the profound, life-affirming words of Morrie Schwartz as he faced his own imminent death.

In 1994, at the age of seventy-seven, Schwartz learned he had ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Undaunted, the former professor embraced his illness, choosing to live passionately and calmly until the end. He also embarked on his greatest teaching adventure: sharing his evolving knowledge of living while dying.

With warmth, wisdom, and humor, Morrie reveals how to:
-- live fully in the moment
-- tap into the powers of the mind to transcend physical limitations
-- grieve for your losses
-- reach out to family and friends
-- develop an inner space for meditation and spiritual connection.

It's never too late to become the kind of person you'd like to be. Morrie shows the way in his magnificent legacy of love, forgiveness, transcendence, and redemption, a guide to living fully to the end of your days.

Morrie's willingness to talk about his illness made him an inspiration. In 1995 Nightline ran three interviews in which Ted Koppel spoke to Morrie about life, death and the disease that was afflicting his body.

In Morrie: In His Own Words, Morrie combined inspiring lessons with practical advice to help those who have chronic or terminal sickness and to help those close to them maintain healthy emotions and loving relationships. As life-affirming as it is life-releasing, Morrie: In His Own Words will have a profound effect on generations of readers.

Journal Entry 2 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, September 12, 2004
It's only fitting that this book should head to rarsberry once I'm done - the copy of Tuesdays With Morrie that I currently have in my possession originated with her!

Will read soon and the send it off to visit NZ!

Journal Entry 3 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, January 04, 2005
This book wasn't quite what I was expecting, but Morrie's words are inspirational none-the-less. His words seem to be directed more to someone in a similiar situation as him, i.e. struggling with an illness and facing death. I'm glad I read it though, it was a nice accompaniment to Tuesdays With Morrie.

Journal Entry 4 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, January 04, 2005
Off on a journey to rarsberry in NZ. Happy travels, little book!

Mailed 1/5.

Journal Entry 5 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, January 10, 2005
This book arrived in the mail today (Tuesday).
I wasn't expecting it so soon , it only took 6 days to get from the USA over here to New Zealand.
Its amazing sometimes how fast the mail can fly around the world.

Thank you ellymae58 for sending it, I'm really going to enjoy reading it. :o)

Journal Entry 6 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, January 12, 2005
I finished this book this morning.
A very quick read indeed.
I agree with ellymae58, that the book is mainly directed either at those that are ill or people that know someone who is, with its wise words.
However some of it can be used in general life.
Either way I enjoyed reading the book

I will now try to find someone that has read other books of Morrie's that would enjoy reading it. :o)

Journal Entry 7 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, January 13, 2005
I'm making this into a bookray for those who are interested in reading the book.
The list below will be put in order when I close the bookray.

The list in order:
rooshill (Foresthill, California, Usa)
luvtink81 (wichita, kansas, usa)
carlissa (miami, florida)
mirp (Dublin, n/a Ireland)
Jenatleisure (Surrey, England, United Kingdom)
biba89 (Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands)
dutch-flybaby (Ede, Gelderland, Netherlands)
Niksu (helsinki, uusimaa, finland)
Hellie (South Shields, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom)

Journal Entry 8 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Thursday, April 14, 2005
I got it today! I'm about halfway through another ring book, then I'll start this one. I read Tuesdays with Morrie a while ago and passed it on to Jenatleisure, then Niksu. Hopefully the timing will work out so that this shows up after they've read that one. (International post can be so crazy!)

Journal Entry 9 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Thursday, May 05, 2005
Yikes! I didn't think it'd take so long to get to it, but I'm starting this book tonight. Sorry to hold things up!

Journal Entry 10 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Monday, May 16, 2005
Very wise words, but certainly not as readable as Tuesdays with Morrie. That one was a great read, IMHO, for anyone whereas this one seems more targeted at those suffering a similar situation to Morrie's.
Since I'm not, I had a hard time (didn't get all the way through it) focusing. I decided to move on to happier material.

Journal Entry 11 by luvtink81 from Wichita, Kansas USA on Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Arrived in the mail over the weekend. I'm looking foward to reading it and passing it on :)

Journal Entry 12 by luvtink81 from Wichita, Kansas USA on Thursday, June 16, 2005
Finished this book the other day, and it was a real quick and easy read. Even though I did like Tuesdays With Morrie better, I thought this was still a great inspiration and a nice companion to the other book. Sending it on early next week.

Journal Entry 13 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Saturday, July 02, 2005
Received this book in the mail today. Looking forward to reading more about Morrie.

Journal Entry 14 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Wednesday, July 20, 2005
I took this book with me on vacation and enjoyed reading it. Lots of wisdom that can be used for everyday life as well as coping with a serious illness.

Journal Entry 15 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Thursday, July 21, 2005
I mailed this book to mirp today. Thanks everyone for sending out this book!

Journal Entry 16 by rem_BSM-942247 on Monday, August 08, 2005
Recieved today. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the postcard carlissa! Many thanks.

Journal Entry 17 by rem_BSM-942247 on Thursday, September 01, 2005
I found this book an easy read. I felt there was something for everyone who read it to take away. He was a remarkable man, his strenght and courage in the face of such a ravaging disease was amazing. It would certainly be a book to recommend to anyone with terminal illness or they're family members.

Journal Entry 18 by rem_BSM-942247 on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
morrie was posted off to biba89 today.

Journal Entry 19 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, September 12, 2005
It arrived on my doorstep today. Thanks! I will read it soon.

Journal Entry 20 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, September 15, 2005
Filled with wisdom and tenderness. I was touched by his account of all his negative emotions, the grief, the depression, the anger, he could experience and write about.
What a beautiful man. Thanks for sharing this.

In the mail to dutch-flybaby.

Journal Entry 22 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, September 16, 2005
<-- Thanks for the beautiful postcard biba!
Oops, biba89 has read the book a lot faster than I anticipated :-) Oh well, I'm reading a book at the moment that is not easy to read while taking a bath, but this book is, so I just might start it soon anyway.

Journal Entry 23 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 20, 2005
I finished reading this book today and was touched by it, just as I was by his other books. What a wonderful writer this man is!
Will send the book to niksu asap.

Released 13 yrs ago (9/24/2005 UTC) at A mailbox in town in Ede, Gelderland, Netherlands -- Controlled Releases

Mailed the book to niksu today. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 25 by Niksu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, October 06, 2005
Received this book in the mail today. Thanks dutch-flybaby. Few ringbooks ahead of this but I try to be fast.

By the way dutch-flybaby, I'm coming to Netherlands in november for the first time of my life and I'm looking forward to that trip:)

Journal Entry 26 by Niksu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, October 09, 2005
Short and easy to read. I'm glad I got chance to read Tuesdays With Morrie before starting with this one.

Thanks for sharing rarsberry! I will mail this out as soon as I get Hellies address.

***EDIT 31.10.05 The book is now on its way to hellie.

Journal Entry 27 by Hellie from South Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, November 10, 2005
Thanks for sending this one on a ring...
I found 'Tuesdays with Morrie a good read.. (if not as thought provoking or as powerful as 'The Five people you meet in heaven..'
Looking forwaqrd to learning more about Morrie though...

Journal Entry 28 by Hellie at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (4/13/2006 UTC) at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

zst meet.

interesting read having loved '5 people you meet in heaven' and 'tuesdays with morrie'

loved the line about hiow some poepole sleepwalk throuigh life,l never getting passionate about anything.....

we can't be accused of that.

That so needs to be used in a song I reckon...lol

Journal Entry 29 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 14, 2006
Picked up at last night's excellent Newcastle BookCrossing meet.

Journal Entry 30 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 11, 2006
If this had been written by someone else, I would considered it to be a pretty average self-help book, sadly. Mitch Albom probably did a better job getting Morrie's message across than Morrie did.

Updated 1 July: Taken to the BookCrossing UK Unconvention in Birmingham.

Journal Entry 31 by herrgirl from Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 01, 2006
Picked up at the UnConvention in Birmingham. I found Tuesdays With Morrie a very inspirational book. Reading what other bookcrossers have written, it seems that this book is relevant to those facing an imminent demise. Having recently lost my oldest friend (over 50 years) to cancer I shall read it with her in mind.

Journal Entry 32 by herrgirl from Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 19, 2006
One man's wisdom, gained through his personal experience of life and shared with us as he approaches the end of it. He offers suggestions appropriate to someone facing terminal illness, and to carers, friends and family. I found it rather depressing, although there were wise words and good lessons to be learned whilst still fit and well.

Journal Entry 33 by herrgirl at Cafe in the Woods OBCZ in Wendover Woods, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 21, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (9/23/2006 UTC) at Cafe in the Woods OBCZ in Wendover Woods, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom

At the bookcrossing meet.

Journal Entry 34 by katybean from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2006
I picked this book up at a meet-up in Wendover Woods (thanks for bringing it Herrgirl). I have recently read 'Tuesdays with Morrie' so look forward to reading this one to see the other side of the story!

Wow - this book has done some miles!!

Katybean

Journal Entry 35 by katybean at mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 01, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (2/1/2007 UTC) at mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

This will travel to jillbe once I have her address, as it was 'won' on a bookcrossing game on the BCUK extra site 'triple crossed swap'

Katybean
x

Journal Entry 36 by jillbe from Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, February 05, 2007
Received in the post today. Thanks very much for sending it on to me, Katybean. I especially 'enjoy' books with these kind of themes i.e. acceptance etc.

Journal Entry 37 by jillbe at Cathedral in Wells, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, February 09, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/9/2015 UTC) at Cathedral in Wells, Somerset United Kingdom

Welcome to bookcrossing and thank you for picking up this book.
Please make a Journal Entry to let me know that it has found a good home with
you.....then read and release for someone else to find!!