Fight Club

by Chuck Palahniuk | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by quinnsmom of Hobe Sound, Florida USA on 6/12/2004
Journal Entry 1 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Saturday, June 12, 2004
reading in September along with other novels of dystopia. Will decide to keep or let go then.

Journal Entry 2 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Friday, September 10, 2004
keeping; will try to find another for bookcrossing.

I am Joe's astounded brain. Oh my God. What a great book! I know a lot of reviews have lumped Palahniuk with JG Ballard, and having read Super-Cannes, I can see why. Both books run along pretty much the same lines, although Fight Club has that weird twist to it lacking in Ballard's work. Now I am a confirmed Palahniuk fan and some bookstore somewhere is going to get an order for every one of his books.

The basic plot runs along these lines:
We never learn the name of the narrator, but we learn a lot about him. He has what most people would consider to be a good job, lives in a condo filled with furniture from IKEA, has a pretty much average life. Well, maybe not so average...he sees a doctor who tells him that to cure himself of feeling so low and to get over his constant insomnia, he should visit support groups for people with different diseases. So off he goes, making the rounds of support groups of everything from testicular cancer to brain parasites. However, at one meeting of the testicular cancer group, he meets Marla. He knows she's a fake, she knows he's a fake and she's there pretty much for the same reasons as himself, but it ruins the whole thing for our narrator, who says he can't cry while she's there. While on another one of his unceasing business trips (he works for a company which figures out if it's better to do recalls for cars or just settle), he meets Tyler Durden. They strike up a conversation, and our narrator learns that Tyler is a projectionist, is a waiter for private parties & has a different outlook on life. Then one day, the narrator comes back from a business trip to find that his condo has blown up and that everything is gone. He meets Tyler in a bar, and afterwards, goes to live with him in what one reviewer of this novel called a "crack house reject." The only condition for sharing the house with Tyler is that our narrator has to hit him as hard as he can. And thus thereafter, Tyler forms the Fight Club, where men can come, fight other men and feel what it's really like to be alive. At least, that's how it starts out. I can't tell you much more or I'll wreck it.

You must read this book. You don't have to go off the deep end and claim it for your "bible" as some reviewers have, but it is great. I haven't seen the movie yet, but buying it is on my list of things to do today.

Journal Entry 3 by gypsyshubby from East Olympia, Washington USA on Sunday, July 15, 2007
I received this a LONG time ago from another bookcrosser. It will be put on my AVL list!! :)

Journal Entry 4 by gypsyshubby from East Olympia, Washington USA on Saturday, July 21, 2007
RABCK DRAW! Reserved for another BCER! Will be sent out shortly!! :)

Journal Entry 5 by gypsyshubby from East Olympia, Washington USA on Wednesday, July 25, 2007
I forgot to set this book to "reserved."

Journal Entry 6 by gypsyshubby at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Olympia, Washington USA on Thursday, July 26, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/26/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Olympia, Washington USA

Sent out in the mail today!

Journal Entry 7 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Arrived safely today. Thanks so much gypsyshubby for the RABCK - I have wanted to read this for some time. A huge thank you for the wonderful bookmark as well - I love it. Much appreciated. Hugs & happy BookCrossing :o)

Journal Entry 8 by froggirlwendy at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, November 10, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (11/11/2019 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Clearing out some books that have sat too long. Posted to another Bookcrosser for OBCZ.

Journal Entry 9 by luckaye at Crestmead, Queensland Australia on Friday, November 15, 2019
In a bag of books donated for my street library - thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by luckaye at Kingston PO in Kingston, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Released 4 days ago (12/3/2019 UTC) at Kingston PO in Kingston, Queensland Australia

Placed on the table outside of the Kingston Post Office - please enjoy!