The Chamber

by John Grisham | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0440220602 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSuzy26wing of Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 6/11/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, June 11, 2004
John Grisham's fifth legal thriller.

From the back cover: Adam Hall is 26 years old and in his first year at a top Chicago law firm. He volunteers for the toughest assignment any lawyer could ask for. His prospective client doesn't want Adam or his law firm. He is an unrepentant and outspoken racist with a violent past. He is on Death Row for the murder of two Jewish children in a horrific bombing in 1967. Why would he take on Adam, a complete novice, to defend him? And why would Adam want his case so desperately? The answer lies in the past, in a twenty-year-old secret buried in the madness of another time.

One of Grisham's best.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSuzy26wing at Jane Goodall Instituut in Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, August 01, 2004
Released on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at Jane Goodall Instituut in Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands.

Journal Entry 3 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Sunday, August 01, 2004
I found this book at the Deventer Book Fair! I've never read a Grisham before, though I did see one or two movies of his books. We'll see.....

Journal Entry 4 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Friday, November 04, 2005
This was the second Grisham novel I’ve read (the first was The Partner) and I’ve seen a couple of movies, like The Firm, The Pelican Brief and The Rainmaker, and I must say I thought this was a different kind of book. Sure, it’s a courtroom story, but I didn’t find it a real thriller. For me, it read as a manifest against the death penalty, particularly the gas chamber. It also condemns the Ku Klux Klan and other hate groups, but also talks about forgiveness and regret. As I said, I didn’t find it a thriller at all and thought the whole "marketing campaign" wasn’t believable at all, as if the governor would be so naive to think all those phone calls were real. All in all, a "nice" read, even though the beginning was quite slow.

Journal Entry 5 by owlet at Chalet Bergrust, Luikerweg 71 in Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Saturday, March 18, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (3/18/2006 UTC) at Chalet Bergrust, Luikerweg 71 in Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands

Waarschijnlijk op de piano of op de tafel die ervoor staat.

Probably on the piano or on the table in front of it.