The Last Time They Met : A Novel

Registered by LGinder on 6/9/2004
Journal Entry 1 by LGinder on Wednesday, June 09, 2004
In my Mt. TBR pile!

Journal Entry 2 by LGinder on Wednesday, June 09, 2004
Looks like I already have this one in my to-be-read pile. You know the pile is to big if you start getting duplicates!!

Journal Entry 3 by LGinder at Felipe Rd / Tamarind in Mission Viejo, California USA on Tuesday, August 03, 2004
Released on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at Felipe Rd / Tamarind in Mission Viejo, California USA.

Book will be on the step leading up to the ballfield - should be an easy catch if you just pull up to the bottom and grab it. I think the steps are just across from Tamarind which is actually the first street past where Olympiad and Felipe change names at La Paz : ) Being released about 12:30

Journal Entry 4 by OneMorePage from Mission Viejo, California USA on Tuesday, August 03, 2004
My son found it on the stairs near the park - he was even more excited than me!

Journal Entry 5 by OneMorePage from Mission Viejo, California USA on Monday, August 09, 2004
It is an odd experience, to read a book when you know there is a surprise coming. You tend to over-analyze everything - wondering about the double meaning behind every word. I managed to resist skipping to the last page and reading it first, just to see what the big shocker was.

To compound that, this book is told in reverse chronological order - so it begins when the couple is in their 50s, then the second part is about their 20s, and the third is about when they met at the age of 17. So if we are going backwards, what could possibly happen that would change the beginning of the book-slash-end of their relationship?

Still, the shocker is a big one, that I did not see coming. I don't know that I would have stuck with the book if I was not forewarned that there was a big plot payofff in the end - I was just not all that absorbed. But the anticipation and my investment in the story (if not necessarily the characters) built. In that sense I really respect Shreve's writing style - the plot is VERY well crafted. She is not a great writer, but a very, very good one.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a "ripping good yarn"!

Journal Entry 6 by OneMorePage at Kaleidescope Center in Mission Viejo, California USA on Tuesday, August 10, 2004
Released on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 at Kaleidescope Center in Mission Viejo, California USA.

On a table in the lobby of the movie theaters. Happy reading!