Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt

by Kate Messner, Christopher Silas Neal | Children's Books |
ISBN: 9781452119366 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggorydetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/11/2024
Journal Entry 1 by winggorydetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 11, 2024
I found this handsome hardcover in this Little Free Library in North Chelmsford MA, while dropping off some books of my own, and was delighted to have another release copy.

It's from a series of children's books about various ecosystems, illustrating the habitats and the creatures that live there. This one follows a grandmother and grandchild as they plan, cultivate, and harvest, from the first muddy aftermath-of-winter scenes to the last harvest and first frost. We see the labor involved - of the people and of the various insects, birds, and animals that share the setting (and sometimes compete for the produce!). There's a section at the end with facts about each of the creatures shown in the illustrations, and a list of further reading. And the book is making me itch to start gardening!

Journal Entry 2 by winggorydetailswing at LFL -, Massachusetts Ave. in Lunenburg, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (6/12/2024 UTC) at LFL -, Massachusetts Ave. in Lunenburg, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

Released for:

** 2024 June Pollinator Celebration challenge, for the various pollinators on the cover **