The Wedding Dress

by Danielle Steel | Romance | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingMaranlinwing of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 6/4/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingMaranlinwing from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 4, 2024
In Danielle Steel’s epic new novel, the lives of four generations of women in one family span fortune and loss, motherhood, tragedy and victories.

From the glamorous San Francisco social scene of the 1920s, through war and the social changes of the ’60s, to the rise of Silicon Valley today, this extraordinary novel takes us on a family odyssey that is both heartbreaking and inspiring, as each generation faces the challenges of their day.

The Parisian design houses in 1928, the crash of 1929, the losses of war, the drug culture of the 1960s—history holds many surprises, and lives are changed forever. For richer or for poorer, in cramped apartments and grand mansions, the treasured wedding dress made in Paris in 1928 follows each generation into their new lives, and represents different hopes for each of them, as they marry very different men.

From inherited fortunes at the outset to self-made men and women, the wedding dress remains a cherished constant for the women who wear it in each generation and forge a destiny of their own. It is a symbol of their remaining traditions and the bond of family they share in an ever-changing world.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 4, 2024
Coincidently, I read "The Last Dance of the Debutante" by Julia Kelly just before reading this book. "The Wedding Dress" opens with the character Eleanor preparing for her debut as a debutante in 1928. It was an interesting book spanning about 80 years in the lives of the generations of the Devereaux family. It sounds like a lot to cram into about 360 pages, but I found it interesting to read about the various decades of that time period, and the ups and downs of each generation.

Released 2 wks ago (6/25/2024 UTC) at LFL - Burlington Anglican Lutheran Church in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Released for the 2024 June Brides Challenge, the 2024 Allergic to A Challenge & the 2024 NJABBIC Challenge (week 26: 2nd quarter redo - week 15, neckwear, author pic on back cover shows her wearing a necklace).

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use me, Maranlin, as a referring member.