The Secret

by Lee Child | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by BookGroupMan of Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on 6/3/2024
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 3, 2024
The latest in the perennial series ... now up to 29 (or 30?) including Lee's collaboration with his brother. Jack Reacher is by far the biggest single author and series in my virtual library. I have on doubt that this will be 'more of the same', but in a good way!

(10/06/24) *moderate spoiler* This chapter of the never-ending* comic book saga is a dip into history, set in 1992 and investigations into some CIA/cold war spook activity 1969. A newly disgraced/demoted Jack Reacher (which book?) is co-opted onto an inter-agency task force to get to the bottom of the killing of scientists who were involved in some shady research in India. The book is mostly office-based for our hero, until is becomes real when they spot a possible connection with a high profile politician and one of the team is murdered. There are a lot of females in this book, including IDF-trained sisters who are almost a match for Reacher in effective killing, a partner-investigator, and one of the main protagonists (of the psycho-baddie with henchmen variety). Everything else is straight out of the normal Lee Child playbook, including a nice mention of brother Joe, so we can place this before The Affair and Killing Floor (1997).

*well it is if the ageing Reacher can draw on a whole lifetime of experience

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at The Falcon Inn in Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (6/12/2024 UTC) at The Falcon Inn in Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

I know the landlord likes Jack Reacher ... so this might be on the sharing shelf for a short time only! If you find this, welcome to Book Crossing, all donations welcome.

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at The Brewery Tap in Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 19, 2024

Released 4 days ago (7/19/2024 UTC) at The Brewery Tap in Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

It looks like The Falcon has closed, hopefully a temporary pause. So I’m restocking and shifting things around in the sharing shelf down the road :) If you get this far, welcome to bookcrossing!