The Lovely Bones (Bookring)

by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Antof9 of Lakewood, Colorado USA on 6/5/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Saturday, June 05, 2004
I don't remember where I first heard the opening lines of this book, but I've been interested ever since. Who knew it was "popular" fiction?

Bought a copy and then the next week DMA7 gave hers to me. Thank goodness I hadn't started it yet! Thanks -- I love sharing books with you!

Journal Entry 2 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2004
Note: paragraphs marked with an * may contain "spoiler" information.

I started a thread in Book Talk, and realized that that was my review. One other thought that I didn't add there -- it was so nice to read "popular fiction" without tons of swears and lots o' sex. I'm just saying . . .

So without further ado, here is what I wrote in the thread I started.

I did a Book Talk forum search, and was surprised at how many people disliked it. I'm still thinking about my review, but I wanted to discuss some thoughts here.
*Spoiler Alert* Continue only if you've already read it, won't be reading it, or don't care to know the end.

In no particular order:

My father died 4+ years ago. I really miss him, and totally resonated with Susie's longing for her dad. I was sobbing, literally heaving, during some of the passages about him. I wonder if you haven't experienced death closely if this book wouldn't speak to you in that way.

*I have a special place in my heart for children (duh- - check out my screen name!). The parts about poor little Buckley broke my heart. His comment on his mother's return made complete sense to me. I sobbed over that too. I wanted to hug and comfort him myself.

Yes, the author's view of Heaven is wacked. But it's a book; not a scientific or theological exploration of what Heaven will actually be. She makes no illusions about being a theologian. Her view of Heaven in my opinion isn't even what the book is about, although obviously, it's certainly easy to imagine a Heaven that a 14-year old girl pictures could be one like this.

*I didn't really get the whole "Ghost" Patrick Swayze return thing through the body of Ruth. What was the point? I was totally absorbed in the book until then. And why did it have to go that way? Why sex? Was that necessary? Really? I didn't think so. The whole time she's in a body and able to talk, I'm thinking (or I'd be yelling at the screen if it were a movie), "Tell him where your body is! Tell him all the details!"

*As someone who prefers happy endings, I waffled on the final demise of rotten Mr. Harvey. I really wanted him to be caught. Of course, I was glad to see him come to an end, and how poetic the method. .. Then I wondered: were we supposed to think that Susie had made that happen? Confusing. But perhaps on purpose. I guess it just seemed so clear that it was headed toward them finally putting all the pieces together that I didn't think his end did the rest of the story justice. ..

*It's true what others have said- - it definitely could have ended sooner. Of course, I kept thinking Mr. Harvey would be caught, and so didn't mind turning the last several pages. .. .which I kind of skimmed.

I *loved* the impromptu one-year anniversary of her death description. Also cried here. It was beautiful. I only hope people care enough about me to remember me in such a beautiful and spontaneous way someday.

Anyway, that just might be my review. I laughed, I cried. I loved how she got inside the head of a 14-year old girl. I totally believed the POV. Was it the best thing I've read ever or even this year? Who knows? But I sure did like it, and I do like a good cry, even if it makes Unk uncomfortable.

Click here for the thread (if anyone else joins me).

Journal Entry 3 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Journal Entry 4 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Journal Entry 5 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Sending to mysteryfan03 today. Just finished sealing it up :)

Journal Entry 6 by citrus on Wednesday, June 30, 2004
just wanted to say thanks again Antof9!
i'm glad that the bookring can continue...

Journal Entry 7 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Friday, July 02, 2004
Got this in the mail yesterday! Thanks citrus for offering the ring, and to antof9 for returning it to life!! I have a few rings infront of this, but will get to it soon.

BTW antof9, I am about 30 miles from Hallsville!!

Journal Entry 8 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Friday, August 06, 2004
I really couldn't put this book down. I see why so many people have read it. What an interesting concept of heaven!

To see my comments (SPOILER ALERT) please highlight below:

However, I totally agreed with antof9 when she said that the flow of the book stopped when Susie and Ruth switched. I didnt understand the point either, if it was to show heaven to Ruth, then it would have talked about her experiences there.
I also wanted George to trip up. It almost seemed sad that he got away with everything and grew old (even tho he did die quickly when trying to pick someone up) I guess, unfortunately, this is more realistic, that he was never caught.

I loved the scene where Holiday noticed that Susie was in heaven with him and he was so excited to see her.

Thanks for a great book antof9!!

Journal Entry 9 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, November 14, 2004
Found the book in my mailbox yesterday. It made it's way all across the Atlantic ocean without the slightest damage and - as far as I can see - even without suffering from a bad jet lag!
I'm afraid it might take some time before I can start reading it, because there are five other books on my Mt. TBR first, which are travelling around the world as a bookring or bookray as well. But nevertheless I'm looking forward very much to reading this one!

Journal Entry 10 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, May 16, 2005
I'm so glad that I finally managed to read this book. I didn't know what kind of book it was when I joined the bookring, so I was very surprised to read the opening lines...

Here's my opinion:
I really loved the book and at times couldn't stop my tears when the family's grief was described. As already mentioned by Antof9 and mysteryfan03, there's only one chapter that was totally superfluous: chapter twenty two, when Susie returns to earth for just one day...

It is a sensitive book about suddenly losing a beloved person through an act of crime, and about how people have different ways of dealing with the pain.

There are some passages in the book that really moved me, so they're worth being cited here:

I. I really love it when books cite other books that I've already read or which I've got on my Mount TBR. In this novel, it's Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird":
'He held up a paperback copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. "Do they read this at the school?"
"Yes," she said, her face draining of color as she said the small word.' (p. 24)

II. The following situation really touched me. It's about mother-daughter relationship:
' "Mother, I need to..."
"You need to take a walk."
"After the dishes."
"Listen," my grandmother said, "I know I'm whatever I am and you're whatever you are, which isn't me, which makes you happy, but I know some things when I see them and I know something is going on that isn't kosher. Capisce?"
My mother's face was wavering, soft and malleable - almost as soft and malleabel as the image of her that floated on the sullied water in the sink.
"What?"
"I have suspicions and I don't want to talk about them here."
Ten-four, Grandma Lynn, I thought. I'd never seen her nervous before.
It would be easy for them to leave the house alone. My father, with his knee, would never think to join them, and, these days, where my father went or did not go, my brother, Buckley, followed.
My mother was silent. She saw no other option. As an afterthought they removed their aprons in the garage and piled them on the roof on the Mustang. My mother bent down and lifted the garage door.
It was still early enough so the light would hold for their beginning of their walk. "We could take Holiday," my mother tried.
"Just you and your mother," my grandmother said. "The most frightening pairing imaginable."' (p. 167)
Did any woman ever think she could hide a secret from her own mother? This situation touches me very much, because when I was younger, I always thought I'd never want to be like my mother. I always thought she knew nothing about me and my life. It took me quite some years to learn that there's a certain kind of wisdom that is special for mothers all around the world. And that for certain questions, there'll never be a better advisor than your own mother.

The book will be travelling to Secotyne in Switzerland tomorrow.
Thank you citrus, for starting the bookring, and you Antof9 for contributing another copy of the novel, and last but not least to mysteryfan03 for sending it all across the Atlantic ocean to good ole Europe...

Released 14 yrs ago (5/17/2005 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

... being sent by snail-mail to Secotyne, Switzerland, today...

Journal Entry 12 by Secotyne from Carouge, Genève Switzerland on Sunday, June 05, 2005
Just a quick note to say I received the book at the beginning of the week and wasn't able to register before... sorry.
I'm in the middle of the story and I've almost cried at the description of the little boy's pain.
I'll get back soon.

January 2006... Some of the next participants have already read the book
and I was enable to join the other one.
I'm trying to enroll new member for this ring to keep the book moving.