toast

by Nigel SLATER | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by DYI-991976 on 6/5/2004
Journal Entry 1 by DYI-991976 on Saturday, June 05, 2004
Borders 3 for 2 has a lot to answer for.

EDIT: This has been reviewed over on my book blog, all comments welcomed!

Journal Entry 2 by DYI-991976 at on Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (5/10/2005 UTC) at

Off to the Meet tonight - hoping this picks up a couple of readers along the way as it was one of the few books I've bought new in *so* long. :)

Journal Entry 3 by Yorkshiresoul from Burley in Wharfedale, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 11, 2005
Will read.

Journal Entry 4 by Yorkshiresoul from Burley in Wharfedale, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
This is Slater's autobiography of his childhood told mainly through the medium of food. Each period that he talks about is linked to a dish or meal. I thought when I first started the book that this mechanism was going to make it a bit twee, and perhaps repetitive and dull, but this is absolutely not the case.

Slater has a vivid, photographic recollection of his childhood and of his own growing interest in food and paints a vivid and extraordinary picture of his early years. He describes every joy and every crisis in his young life with equal frankness, the death of his mother, his father's developing relationship with another woman, his own sexual awakening via the paedophile attentions of his uncle and the family gardener.

If you are of a similar age then Slater's food memories will strike a chord with you, grilled grapefruit, black forest gateau, space dust, angel delight, arctic roll, heinz tinned puddings, fray bentos pies in a can, oh yes, I've got memories of all of these.

When the young slater begins cooking in a working kitchen he describes the tasks of defrosting the prawns for the prawn cocktail, defrosting the Alveston Kitchens ready meals, defrosting the frozen desserts and I thought, I've done that, we did just the same, before we started buying Robert Carrier magazines and educating ourselves anyway.

Slater's book is quite, quite magical. It surpasses everything I thought it might be, it is touching, charming, brutally honest and unflinching, powerfully evocative of 60's/70's Britain and wonderful to read.

Released 14 yrs ago (8/9/2005 UTC) at The Wrens pub, New Briggate in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

At Leeds Bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 6 by loobygraham from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Passed on at the Leeds meet by YorkshireSoul. Love Slater's recipes, and look forward to devouring this. Sorry, bad pun.

Journal Entry 7 by loobygraham at The Wrens pub, New Briggate in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (10/11/2005 UTC) at The Wrens pub, New Briggate in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 8 by loobygraham from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 11, 2005
A very honest and readable memoir. Nostalgic but not sugary.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, October 19, 2005
well funny, touching and heart warming tale of a boy recalling his memories through food which appeals to me more than you can imagibe! I've read it now so it's the Mrs's turn!

CAUGHT IN LEEDS W YORKS UK

Journal Entry 10 by misterhorse from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 24, 2005
Interesting concept........a boys life through his food experiences....but did not like the short chapters ( if you can call them that!)and the writing wasn't really that good.

From wife of the no 9 journaller.