Good Night, Irene: A Novel

by Luis Alberto Urrea | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSandyPAwing of Palmyra, Pennsylvania USA on 4/27/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingSandyPAwing from Palmyra, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 27, 2024
Happy to find this on the shelves at Thousand Trails Orlando RV Resort. Ever since I read the author’s inspiration is his mother’s service, I knew I must read this one. It’s been on my wishlist so today I had a wish come true. Grateful.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSandyPAwing at Palmyra, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, May 27, 2024
Wow, what a journey! With all of the military museums and displays we have been to, I don’t remember anything about the American Red Cross (ARC) Clubmobiles. Such brave women who truly made a difference in WWII. The photographs in this edition make it even more personal.

Heartfelt. “This book is novel, a fiction. I think now it is also me finding my mother again. Sometimes a fable is the surest way to see the truth of the past. In writing this story, I found the wild and heroic woman she was before I came into the world. The woman who struggled to resurface after the war but who was lost in dreadful nightmares and inexplicable isolation. And I hoped to share her with you. Along with her forgotten sister-in-arms.”
-From the Author’s Note and Acknowledgement

I am grateful you shared her and her comrades in a remarkable, personal way, Luis Alberto Urrea. The research that made this story come to life is commendable.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSandyPAwing at Palmyra, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, May 30, 2024

Released 2 wks ago (5/30/2024 UTC) at Palmyra, Pennsylvania USA

Grateful for the opportunity to send this book on its way cross country to 39301 in Seattle, Washington. It’s fun to share good books.

Enjoy!

“When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” ~Kate DiCamillo, a storyteller

Journal Entry 4 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, June 7, 2024
This book arrived today. I have enjoyed Luis Alberto Urrea's books so I'm looking forward to this one. Thank you @SandyPA!!!