Divine Attention

by Paulette Roeske | Poetry |
ISBN: 978-080711950 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Decatur, Georgia USA on 4/25/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Decatur, Georgia USA on Thursday, April 25, 2024
This is one of the poetry books I picked up at a favorite Atlanta thrift shop about two years ago. It presented again today and I decided to register it in BookCrossing, hoping to come to terms with it and and pass it along for the next reader.

Poet Paulette Roeske is from Bloomington, IL. She obtained her 1967 B.A. from the University of Iowa. The next year she earned an M.A. from Northwestern University. An M.F.A, from Warren Wilson College followed in 1982. Her career as educator, author, and editor began at Harper High School, Chicago, IL. She taught English there from 1968-69. In 1969 she became a professor of English at College of Lake County, Grayslake, IL. She founded the Willow Review in 1983 and has been active in publishing poetry and editing anthologies since then. Roeske served as an English teacher at Christ Church College, Canterbury, England in 1995 and she was professor of creative writing from 2002 to 2003 at the University of Southern Indiana, Evansville. Roeske has also served the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. She has been a member of the board of directors of Poetry Center of Chicago. She is a member of the Academy of American Poets, Associated Writing Programs, Modern Language Association, Modern Poetry Association, Poetry Society of America, Poets and Writers, PEN Midwest Associates, PEN International, Society of Midland Authors, Illinois Writers, Inc. Her poetry has been recognized with many awards and honors.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 4, 2024
This 1995 book won the Carl Sandburg Book Award for Poetry. I copied two of these poems and pasted them in a journal because both resonated with my particular life experience. I appreciated many of the others but I found that there was a sort of detachment in Roeske's presentation of images and themes--at least for me--that hindered my enjoyment. Still, this collection is bound to be right for another reader. In 1997 in Evanston, Roeske inscribed this particular book "mother to mother" for an earlier reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Briarlake Forest Park in Atlanta, Georgia USA on Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Released 2 wks ago (6/6/2024 UTC) at Briarlake Forest Park in Atlanta, Georgia USA

This a gift from BookCrossing, a random community of book lovers. If you'd like to join the BookCrossing story of this book, please make a journal entry at our site with the BCID (bookcrossing ID) on the bookplate. BookCrossing is free to join and confidential. You don't have to join to comment. Add your experience to this book.