The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/23/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2024
I got this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, for another release copy - the 32nd copy I've registered! (The book is on the ALA's top 100 most banned and challenged books list - and it inspired a successful Broadway play!)

I adored this book when I first read it (and the audio version narrated by Jeff Woodman, which is also excellent). I had no idea it would go the way it did; I'd only heard about the "boy finds dead dog, tries to solve mystery" aspect, but this story manages to be both realistic and surprising. Seeing the world through Christopher's eyes was fascinating, sometimes pathetic and often scary; and funny, too, as when he discusses metaphors: "I think that it [a metaphor] should be called a lie because a pig is not like a day and people do not have skeletons in their cupboards. And when I try and make a picture of the phrase in my head it just confuses me because imagining an apple in someone's eye doesn't have anything to do with liking someone a lot and it makes you forget what the person was talking about." I note that Terry Pratchett's character, Death, also refers to metaphors as lies, so Christopher is in good company...

Even though the book was in Christopher's words it also conveyed how disturbing he could be to others; much of the pathos of the story came from this, as I empathized with him and with the person who was terrified to encounter him standing in her yard in the dark. And then when - but that would be spoiling it. I was delighted that nobody'd spoiled the story for me so I won't say any more; but this is a very good book indeed.

[There's an entertaining TV Tropes page for this book. Do beware of spoilers, though; most are masked, but some may not be.]

Released 1 mo ago (4/23/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, M H Trefethen School in New Castle, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library after enjoying a drive up the coast on this blustery day. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: