Gruuga

Registered by Apechild of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/20/2024
Journal Entry 1 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 20, 2024
I bought this today from the author at the bookcrossing convention in Tampere, Finland. She did such an interesting talk on Karelia and was so enthusiastic about saving the language of her ancestors that I was inspired to buy her book.

Journal Entry 2 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 10, 2024
Still not sure what Gruuga means. As someone who generally doesn't read poetry, this is a difficult book to rate. I wouldn't know good from bad, but then one might argue it is all in the eye of the beholder.

This is an ambitious little book as all the poems are in Karelian, Finnish and English. I think they were originally written in Karelian. Translating is tough at the best of times, but when you also have the flow and rhythm, meaning but also the feeling you are trying to evoke... well, that's a big ask. I only speak English so I don't know how well they have been translated. The English ones are good, although there are odd things that are a little clunky. No matter. You can feel the frustration of the situation, the great challenge ahead of trying to save a language and culture when there's not really the physical homeland as such, so many having fled due to war generations ago, and of course the lack of resources and past attitudes towards Karelian. But there is a determination in her words, this girl is not going down without a fight.

I find the stories of these minority languages fascinating, and how they pull themselves away from extinction. I bought this after listening to a talk given by the author, and her passion was really infectious. I hope she publishes more. Obviously she must in Karelian, but I hope English translations come as well. Not just poetry, but perhaps folk stories, histories and biographies.

I am not from anywhere. Not anymore
But from whom - I am

Ask me from whom I am from.