The Changeover (Puffin Teenage Fiction)

by Margaret Mahy | Teens |
Registered by Hero of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on 6/4/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Hero from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, June 04, 2004
This is sort of classic YA fantasy (that well-known category of books), and a big favourite for a lot of people. I don't think it's perfect by any means, but it's a very suspenseful story, and I love Sorry.

It's been a bit too long since I read this for my criticisms to be very clear, but I know that I lost belief a few times at the mother's behaviour. Don't want to spoil anything though, so I'll just wait with great interest to see what others think.

Posted to myntti today. Going to BlossomU sometime after, and I'll check with Pikapolonica and Katayoun as well.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, June 15, 2004
The Changeover is here. Thank you, Hero. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, August 04, 2004
I liked the book right from the first page. The story was a good mix of the family's everyday life and the supernatural elements in Laura's life. And Sorry! The scene where Laura is in Sorry's house for the first time has to be read to be believed. ;-)

I mailed the book to BlossomU today.

Journal Entry 4 by BlossomU on Sunday, August 08, 2004
Wow, it has just arrived, thanks Hero and myntti! It might take me a while to get it read, but I am very curious, it is a pretty famous YA novel by now.

Journal Entry 5 by BlossomU on Monday, August 23, 2004
Just read it, and it nearly was sent to Hero before I thought about checking about other readers. Nevermind I am sure that packaging can came handy for any other books *evil cackle*

I thought this pretty fascinating and it was the relationship between Sorry and Laura which makes it so ( "all the disadvantages of a marriage, with none of the advantages"), but even so, that stroke me slightly wrong a few times, as did Laura´s relationship with her mother. The book could be longer, deal more with the new Laura, and perhaps deal with other stuff even hinted at ( is Laura going to be the Maiden for the Carlisle witches plan?). But even so, pretty memorable, thanks Hero! To whom shall I send it next?

Journal Entry 6 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, August 26, 2004
passed to me by BlossomU yesterday.I wanted to read it after I read her review in her livejournal.
Thanks for the loan ,hero!

Journal Entry 7 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, August 30, 2004
I really enjoyed this book!I loved the way the author blends the change from childhood to adulthood with the supernatural.And I love Sorry's character.
And,true,the mother can be a bit strange at times but i kow of worse in real life.
But the relationship of Laura and her mother did not strike me as being wrong.Although she does sometimes confide too much in her 14 year old daughter.Being a child of divorce myself,I know you tend to have a closer relationship with your mother than in a "normal" family ( at least if you get on well).
Who should I send it to now?

Journal Entry 8 by BlossomU on Thursday, October 14, 2004
Back with me, to ship to Katayoun or pikapolonica when they are ready to read it!

Journal Entry 9 by BlossomU on Tuesday, February 01, 2005
Shipped to pikapolonica today. Katayoun probably would like to read it as well one of there days!

Journal Entry 10 by pikapolonica on Wednesday, February 16, 2005
Arrived. Thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by pikapolonica at Busshållplats Bergshamra centrum in Stockholm, Uppland Sweden on Monday, August 07, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (8/7/2006 UTC) at Busshållplats Bergshamra centrum in Stockholm, Uppland Sweden