Drama

by Raina Telgemeier | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/14/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, April 14, 2024
I got this softcover at a local thrift shop, for another release copy. (It's on the ALA's top 100 most banned and challenged books list, which astonishes me, as it's such a delightful story.)

I found this a really charming tale, with lots of details about the behind-the-scenes efforts involved in putting on a play, and with some very lively examples of the many different ways that middle-school relationships can turn out. There are some really delightful scenes, such as when Callie and friends hit the bookstore; one enthuses over the manga, and Callie points out a huge book of Broadway stage and set designs.

While our heroine Callie is definitely crushing on a boy, there are gay and bi characters as well, and they play their part in the various changes of who's-got-a-crush-on-whom that form the background of the plot. It's all very sweet, with notes of "bittersweet" in a few cases. I dearly wish this book had been around when I was in junior high - not just for the gay characters, but for the believable yet kind-hearted look at all manner of relationships, including how to handle rejection gracefully. (I loved spotting the first stages of new crushes; the author helps out by providing suitable blushes and grins and sparkly eyes, but some are more subtle than others.)

Another charming scene: Callie demonstrating why she is in the stage crew, by belting out a song during auditions for the play. She really can't sing... but that doesn't stop her from having a great time. (Her ability to do this comes to her aid later on when her date ditches her at a dance - after some tears she pulls herself together and goes back to the party. She's my hero!) And her enthusiasm about making a cannon actually fire on stage is quite entertaining - and might give nightmares to people who've struggled with props in real life...

Oh, and the show-must-go-on scene near the end - I admit I got a little teary-eyed when the applause kicked in. Really sweet story!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Auburn Town Clerk in Auburn, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this lakeside Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for:

** 2024 April Showers/May Flowers challenge, for the embedded "rain" in the author's name **