Memphis Under the Ptolemies

by Dorothy J. Thompson | History |
Registered by eastbaybookmisr of Oakland, California USA on 4/13/2024
Journal Entry 1 by eastbaybookmisr from Oakland, California USA on Saturday, April 13, 2024
1988 Princeton University Press hardcover about the ancient city under the Hellenic Greek dynasty of 305-30 BCE. This copy came from Vassar College book store. I found this copy yesterday in the Monterey Little Free Library.

Edit May 29, 2024: This was a fairly interesting look at a lesser studied historical place and time, with a surprisingly massive amount of primary source material, for a place that has almost completely disappeared. This book was decades in the making, and is surely the definitive work in its narrow topic. A huge back section is filled just with notes and appendices. But the meat of the book become a bit tedious, so I had to skim some for time, after an initial close read on the early sections. It's certainly an academic work much more than a casual read for the interested layman. I currently have this ranked at #4419 on my ranked list of best-read books lately.

... in the box.