365 Days to the Wedding Vol. 1

by Tamiki Wakaki | Graphic Novels |
Registered by winggorydetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/12/2024
Journal Entry 1 by winggorydetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 12, 2024
I got this softcover at a local Newbury Comics, during their buy-one-get-another-for-half-off sale. (It inspired a live-action TV series.)

The premise: a young man and woman, each of them preferring a solitary life - he with his rescue cat, she with her map collection - decide to announce a fake marriage in hopes that it will keep them safe from their manager's attempt to send one employee on a long-term assignment to a new office in Siberia (single people preferred). As a plan for getting out of an unwanted assignment it's pretty goofy, but as a romantic-comedy premise it's pretty standard {wry grin}. I liked each of the main characters, whose respective character traits - his tendency to delay responses to conversation, her resting-scary-face that makes others afraid of her - have led to misconceptions about their actual personalities. Oohara's love for his hyperactive cat is charming, as is Honjouji's delight in maps (especially large-scale paper ones); they both open up when talking about their interests. Will that be enough to carry them through their ruse? Or will they be found out: before the end of the book, they've received an anonymous message saying that someone knows they're faking!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the manga and adaptations, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by winggorydetailswing at LFL -, Fairbanks Rd in New Ipswich, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (6/12/2024 UTC) at LFL -, Fairbanks Rd in New Ipswich, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library (not far from the one I originally left it in); hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: