The Angel and other stories

by Patrick McGrath | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 4/10/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2024
Amazon:
GOTHIC FICTIONThese stories are taken from: Blood and Water. Originally published: New York : Poseidon, c1988

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/10/2024 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Traveling with some companions via wishlist-tag.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 12, 2024
The wishlist-tag books arrived safely on this rainy day, along with the bonus stickers and labels - thanks so much! I'm always glad to have more of these Penguin 60s books.

These stories have a poetic and decadent style and tone that I liked even while it made me very, very uneasy.

"The Angel" deals with a very unusual depiction of what might be an actual angel - or perhaps not - dwelling in a modern city; very disturbing, this one.

"The Black Hand of the Raj" features a nasty curse in colonial India, with some... interesting... side effects concerning the fiancee of the victim.

"The Arnold Crombeck Story": a condemned murderer has some charming chats with an American journalist - and contrives a way to poison her.

"The E(ROT)ic Potato": from a fly's viewpoint, this is a darkly funny tale of insect romance - mingled with their lust for carrion {wry grin}.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Railroad Square Memorial Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, April 14, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/14/2024 UTC) at Railroad Square Memorial Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I visited the memorial park in search of a new geocache - which I found, but which was too small even for a Penguin 60! Left this book on a bench, in hopes that someone will enjoy it.

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2024 Keep Them Moving challenge. **