Lucky

by Alice Sebold | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by dsc of Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on 4/6/2024
Journal Entry 1 by dsc from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 6, 2024
In Lucky, a memoir hailed for its searing candour and wit, Alice Sebold reveals how her life was utterly transformed when, as an eighteen-year-old college freshman, she was brutally raped and beaten in a park near campus.

What propels this chronicle of her recovery is Sebold's indomitable spirit – as she struggles for understanding (‘After telling the hard facts to anyone, from lover to friend, I have changed in their eyes’); as her dazed family and friends sometimes bungle their efforts to provide comfort and support; and as, ultimately, she triumphs, managing through grit and coincidence to help secure her attacker's arrest and conviction.

In a narrative by turns disturbing, thrilling, and inspiring, Alice Sebold illuminates the experience of trauma victims even as she imparts wisdom profoundly hard-won: ‘You save yourself or you remain unsaved.’

Journal Entry 2 by dsc at Rosewood Little Free Library in Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/17/2024 UTC) at Rosewood Little Free Library in Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

Hello!
If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome, and congratulations on finding this book! Enjoy reading the book, and I hope you will let us know what you thought. It is now yours to do with as you wish - keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us. If you would like to know what happens to the book after it has left you, then do join - it's private and it's fun!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, dsc, as your referring member.
Happy Bookcrossing!