The Help

by Kathryn Stockett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingrussbaumwing of Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on 3/29/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingrussbaumwing from Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 29, 2024
***The phenomenal international bestseller that inspired the Oscar-nominated film***

Enter a vanished and unjust world: Jackson, Mississippi, 1962. Where black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver . . .

There's Aibileen, raising her seventeenth white child and nursing the hurt caused by her own son's tragic death; Minny, whose cooking is nearly as sassy as her tongue; and white Miss Skeeter, home from College, who wants to know why her beloved maid has disappeared.

Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny. No one would believe they'd be friends; fewer still would tolerate it. But as each woman finds the courage to cross boundaries, they come to depend and rely upon one another. Each is in a search of a truth. And together they have an extraordinary story to tell...

'The other side of Gone with the Wind - and just as unputdownable' The Sunday Times

Journal Entry 2 by wingrussbaumwing at Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, March 31, 2024
Welcome to BookCrossing! The home of travelling books...

Thank you so much for picking up this book and visiting the website. Please make a journal entry here on this page if you haven’t already done so to let me know that this book has found a good home.

If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free, confidential, you are only known by your screen name and your e-mail address is never given out) please say "russbaum" sent you.

I really hope you enjoy the book you found! When you’re done reading it, you can make another journal entry with your comments here to let me know what you thought of it.

You can keep the book forever and ever or pass it on to someone else. If you’re giving it to someone directly, make another journal entry saying so. If you choose to leave it somewhere “in the wild” for anyone to catch, make release notes that indicate where you left it. If you register, you will be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry.

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Happy Book-crossing...

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 12, 2024
Since this was one of the books that wasn't picked up at the London meet-up, I've taken it to journal and find a new home for.

Journal Entry 4 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 12, 2024
1960s Mississippi, and the society ladies all have a black maid doing the housework and raising their children. There is Aibileen, who has brought up 17 children who aren't her own, Minny, who can't keep a job because she can't keep herself from talking back, Hilly, the bossy head of the Junior League, Elizabeth who can't show affection to her own daughter, Celia, who can't understand why the other white women look down on her, and of course Skeeter, perpetually single and needing to find a life for herself. I really enjoyed this, even though there were places where it made me really uncomfortable. It is of course horrific that this level of racism was perpetuated into the 1960s, when as Stockett points out we have send a man into space and the birth control pill is available 'for married women', (but a friend was telling me only yesterday about someone from the Deep South telling him a horrifically racist joke recently, and I suspect that things there haven't changed as much as we would like to think). The boundaries in the society portrayed are strong, between black and white, between men and women, and between social classes. Skeeter, stuck at home with her parents, must find a way out and the way she finds is writing - but she says herself, the book must come first, and she puts the women who help her hugely at risk to get her own freedom, without really ever bothering to find out or understand what the risks to them are. Nevertheless we start to see the first few boundaries start to crack as Skeeter realises that people are more the same than she was taught to believe.
It's very well written and Stockett's descriptions of the people are brilliant. Hilly reminds me very strongly of someone I know. Of course there are issues, not least the court case brought by Stockett's own family Help, but I can forgive Stockett a lot for the note at the end where she writes about how afraid she was to write in the voice of a black person, how she was afraid both to have said too much and to have said too little.

Released 3 wks ago (5/20/2024 UTC) at St Albans City Railway Station 🚉 in St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found. It is always a joy to find where it has gone. You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining (free with no strings) please consider using greenbadger or anyone else who has journaled the book as your referrer.
I don't get anything from this except for the pleasure of watching my books travel and knowing that they are giving pleasure to others.
Keep the book for as long as you like, and when you are done with it please pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did. When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.