Songbirds

by Christy Lefteri | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingsaarahoowing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 3/28/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingsaarahoowing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 28, 2024
From cover: Nisha has crossed oceans to give her child a future. By day she cares for Petra's daughter, at night she mothers her own little girl by the light of the phone.

One day, Nisha vanishes. No one cares about the disappearance of a domestic worker, except Petra, and Nisha's lover, Yiannis. As they set out to search for her, they realise how little they knew about Nisha. What they uncover will challenge them both forever.

Journal Entry 2 by wingsaarahoowing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

In the book buffet

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
Off the buffet and into my bag.

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, May 16, 2024
A very sad and unsettling story, not at all what I expected. If Nisha is a fictional character, the background to her story is based on fact and it is not pleasant.

An image haunts me from long ago: at Colombo airport, the check-in counter next to mine, a dozen young girls in a line, each clinging tightly to the one in front, supervised by an old hag in black from head to foot. All bound for service in Dubai, all scared and tearful. In my European queue, we all stood apart and stretched out, separated by our luggage and our need for distance.
I often wonder what fate awaited those girls.