The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by fushmush of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 6/3/2004
Journal Entry 1 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 03, 2004
This is a wonderful book! Such an interesting premise, a very powerful book! Bookcrossing tried to classify this as Science Fiction/Fantasy. It's not this at all, it's a wonderful a character study and a beautiful love story.

"A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant.

An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come. " -- Amazon

Bookray:
Luckaye - Logan City, QLD, Aus
Jassy-m - Perth, WA, Aus
Gooby - Burnley, VIC, Aus
deense - Marrickville, NSW, Aus

Journal Entry 2 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 10, 2004
Started it when FushMush passed it along to me and then decided to keep it for the train on the weekend but now I have company and have started an equally fascinating book and not much room in my bag to take 2 books! But I think I might have to. THe beginning was great and can't wait to read more. Esp since Fushie recommended it and only a few books we disagree on ;)

Journal Entry 3 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 27, 2004
I have been busy and lazy and computer has been acting up which is my excuse for not journalling this book when I finished.

This was interesting, all the quandary and intersections of time. He knows her but she doesn't know him then she knows him but he doesn't know her. As time goes by pieces fall into place and things begin to make sense for both of them.

Thanks FushMush for lending this to me.

Journal Entry 4 by BHD from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 02, 2004
Book from fushmush.

Probably the best book I've read all year. It's a compelling story, one which captures one's heart and imagination. I like the way it's written - in the voice of the two main characters - it lets you develop with them, lets you feel with them and for them, tangles you up in their disjointed relationship whilst maintaining the continuity within it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, a must for anyone who enjoys getting to really know the characters in a good character-driven story.

Book returns to fushmush.

Journal Entry 5 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 10, 2004
Passed to Noodlebowl on the weekend (7th/8th August).

Journal Entry 6 by noodlebowl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 10, 2004
Recieved from FushMush. Have started to read it and it has been very captivating so far. Most of all, I am struck by the love between the two characters. Shall review properly when done.

Journal Entry 7 by noodlebowl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 19, 2004
I really enjoyed this book, it was an imaginative concept that was well delivered with excellent pace and poignant characters. I like that even though their relationship was so unusual, it was also so normal with fights and little momements of humour.

Perhaps we should get together to discuss the book study questions at the back of the book!

Off to Jubby next!

Journal Entry 8 by noodlebowl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 12, 2004
Oops bugger. Didn't realise I had held this book for so long. A thousand apologies. Hopefully jubjub will there to collect tonight at meetup

Journal Entry 9 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 18, 2004
I received this from Noodlebowl at last week's meetup. I had a quick read, and was rather enjoyed the creative timeline of the story.

Unfortunately, I found the main character (Henry) utterly unlikable (I read a review where he was compared to Ulysses). The characters were two demensional at best.

Having said that, I have heard lots about this book, and am grateful for the opportunity to have read it.

Thank you Fushmush.

Journal Entry 10 by jubby at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 18, 2004

Released 14 yrs ago (10/18/2004 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Passed on to Charmedwitch23.

Journal Entry 11 by charmedwitch23 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 18, 2004
Recieved from Jubby. Thanks.
I have 4 ring/rays ahead of this one so may take a while, sorry.

Update 7/1/05 - I am about halfway thru this and enjoying it a lot.

Journal Entry 12 by charmedwitch23 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 11, 2005
WOW! I loved this book. What a romance and rather complicated and kinda mind bending at the same time.
Some may say that it is obvious its her first book but I wouldnt know, I just know I liked it. On that point often it wassnt totally clear who was speaking, Clare or Henry or other, but usually it didnt matter and to me it enforced that Clare and Henry were one together.
This story was so happy and yet so sad.
I also liked the the way it was written in the voice of both main character so you get to know both intimately rather than just one.
Thanks to all for allowing me to read this fantastic book, sorry I took so long.
Highly recomended.
All packed up and going out to Mundoo today.

Cheers,
Charmedwitch23

Journal Entry 13 by Mundoo from Hindmarsh Island, South Australia Australia on Friday, January 14, 2005
Arrived today in the mail. 1 book ahead of it.

Journal Entry 14 by Mundoo from Hindmarsh Island, South Australia Australia on Saturday, January 29, 2005
What an interesting story!! I loved the way the writer intertwined the story of Clare and Henry through the different ages of Clare (and Henry). I cried near the ending of Henry as the longing of Clare to have Henry back is very strong and touched a raw nerve with me about my own 'late' husband. Oh to have time travel to see him again! This was a book that was hard to put down. The story was realistic, alive and erotic at times with all the foibles of normal people.

Released 14 yrs ago (2/1/2005 UTC) at By Mail in Controlled Release, Given to a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Posted to tasamina

Journal Entry 16 by Tasamina from Yankalilla, South Australia Australia on Thursday, February 03, 2005
Arrived in the mail and look forward to reading it but as we have overseas visitors arriving tomorrow it may be a couple of weeks before I get the opportunity.

Journal Entry 17 by Tasamina from Yankalilla, South Australia Australia on Wednesday, March 02, 2005
This book is doing a little travelling of its own. It has accompanied me to Beijing and is currently in Hong Kong. The story is absorbing and the characters strong -perfect company on long flights.It is easy to identify with both Clare and Henry and their plight.A romantic tale with dramatic twists.
I return to Australia soon and will pass it on to Wirigerie ASAP.

Journal Entry 18 by Wirigerie from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, March 10, 2005
Arrived in the mail today.
Think I will have an early night and read this in bed.

Journal Entry 19 by Wirigerie from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, March 19, 2005
I really enjoyed this book.

I was surprised that Clare was younger than Henry. I had imagined that Clare was from a different century . Must be that the "go back and become your own Grandfather paradox" has been so firmly entrenched in my head that I no longer consider the possibility that you can travel to a place in your own lifespan.

I don't know that I couldn't tell myself about important event and try to stop them happeneing. But I guess like Henry found out they happen that way anyway.

Overall a very enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 20 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 02, 2005
Got this in the mail on Friday, will probably take it with me on my travels (looks like a good long flight read!) and then I'll pass it on when I get back in 4 weeks!

Journal Entry 21 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Sunday, May 01, 2005
I really enjoyed this book, it was an interesting concept to have someone travel in time and meet their future partner when they are just young. I wondered whether the book would be hard to follow as it jumped around a lot from the perspective of two people but it wasn't, at the start of each chapter or passage it would clearly list how old the people were and what years they were in. It was definitely a romantic story and one that would hopefully have a happy ending, I'm glad that things worked out although the actual finish I found quite poignant. Thanks Jess for letting me read the book.

I'm loaning this to Hawkette while I'm visiting her in London, if she finishes it while I'm here then I'll bring it back to Australia and send it on otherwise she will send it on from here.

Journal Entry 22 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, May 04, 2005
I have wanted to read this one, since so many people rave about it!! Was on the original bookray list, but had to come off cos I moved to the UK.
But look what turned up!!?? TramGirl is visiting, and so I have convinced her that she'll have more room for shopping if she lets me read this one. And I can send it back to Australia!
Thanks fushmush!! Hee hee - we see to be hijacking each other bookrays at the moment!

Journal Entry 23 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 12, 2005
Can I just say that I am mesmorised my this book!! Picked it up this morning, and am in love with it!! Gives such a warm and fuzzy feeling!! I just know that I won't want it to end - and yet I want to devour it to see what happens.

The characters are gorgeous, and so well developed. I feel like I am part of their lives already!!

A friend was reading this when I visited her back in Feb, and she tried to explain what the premise was, and I really wasn't sure how it was going to be explained. But Niffenegger is doing it beautifully!!

A book that had such a hype, I was scared it would let me down! Not so far! I think I have to go and get something yummy to devour with it!!

Sorry, bit of a spam, progress journal, but I just wanted to say that I am loving it!!

Journal Entry 24 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, May 14, 2005
This will have to go down as one of my very favourite books. It's so amazing!! You were right, Fushie!!

I actually had to put it down at one point, and gather myself for the ending! The Clare's rollarcoaster quote made me have to put it down for just a bit, and save the end for a quieter time in the day.

So many things that I loved about this book. Many funny moments, and a few heartbreaking, teary moments.
I loved Gomez's wedding speech. May have to dig that one out one day.
The characters were developed, despite jumping from time to time, beautifully - quite an art.

Simply brilliant Can't say enough about it. I am blown away! Loved it!

Now, I have been raving about this book, and I am staying at kuju's house...I may let her peek before I send it off...

Journal Entry 25 by cathyinoz from Fitzroy, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 07, 2005
Well here's an unexpected surprise! I knew I was next on the ring but didn't know it was on its way here yet. Lovely! Just in time before I become a traveller myself.

Arrived VERY safe and sound. Just finishing a book so will start this one on the weekend. Thanks fushmush and kuju(?)for sending this my way.

Journal Entry 26 by kuju from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 11, 2005
I thought it would be a nice surprise! I've been meaning to journal it sooner, but with my trek to Australia last week to post the book in Oz, I just haven't had time. Ok, so my trip to Australia wasn't the sole reason for post this book but it made it worthwile waiting until I got there.

I also apologise for hijacking the book but if you send a bookcrosser to stay with me in London armed with a books then be warned! If then two bookcrossers stay with me, then ofcourse there is possibility of a double hijacking. Sorry fushmush, but we know you still love us :)

Oh so about the book! I loved it! It was definitely worthwile "borrowing" it! The jump between characters and time was executed beautifully and I loved the interpretation of time travel throughout the book. I always thought it would be glamorous but arriving starkers is not my idea of fun but it certainly added interest to the book.

Journal Entry 27 by cathyinoz from Fitzroy, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, July 27, 2005
OK, I have to concur with everyone ahead of me in the bookring. It was a pretty good book! Very complicated for a first novel, she covered a bit of genetics, took an original path on how timetravel would work and then a bit of technical stuff about papermaking (which was unusual). The only thing I found a bit unbelievable was how accepting everyone was about Henry's condition.

Great love story, unique situations. I'm glad I read it.
Off to the next lucky person.

Journal Entry 28 by octopusgrrl from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Saturday, September 03, 2005
Sorry, forgot to update earlier - the book showed up about a week ago in the mail (thanks, cathyinoz!) but I've been swamped with reading for my English paper. I'm starting it tonight, though, and looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 29 by octopusgrrl from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Tuesday, October 25, 2005
This is definitely a book which "sticks" in the head. It's really hard to put it down and there is a lot I would like to say about it (if I can manage to get all my ideas together!) I identified closely with Henry, and I thought he was painted as a totally human character, not terribly likeable at times but very real and much easier for me to relate to than Clare. Clare just seemed TOO good at times, I don't want to give too much of the plot away, but I thought she was more interesting as a character when she fell from grace sometimes. At times I felt a little uncomfortable with the idea that Clare was gently emotionally manipulated to end up with Henry from a young age (even if he did it unintentionally), but it seemed perfectly natural while I was reading it. This is a book that makes you consider how you feel about the characters and their actions, and I think everyone reacts differently. It's very painful to read in parts, and I'd say impossible to get through without a tear or two, but not in a Hallmark-card way - just as a reminder that love can survive absence and death, but the bittersweet memories of someone's presence in your life will always remain. My husband hijacked it after I'd finished, and absolutely loved it as well (he was an emotional wreck at the end!) and now I'm finally sending it away to flitterby - sorry for hanging on to it for so long, but it was appreciated!

Journal Entry 30 by flitterby from Reynella, South Australia Australia on Sunday, October 30, 2005
This book arrived this morning. I have one other bookring book ahead of it. I'm amazed to read how well travelled this one book has been! I've really looked forward to reading this one and can't wait to get into it.

Journal Entry 31 by flitterby from Reynella, South Australia Australia on Sunday, November 13, 2005
I very much enjoyed this book. It kept me captivated and I loved how the stories played out. It's hard to believe this was a first novel, as the attention and care to detail were so important to the story. I normally read bookring books quickly so as to get it in the mail to the next person as soon as possible, but I let myself slow down and truly savour reading it this time. I shed some tears near the end, which is something I hardly ever do, but I was quite caught up in the story and felt the saddness and longing Clare felt very acutely. I am really glad to have had the opportunity to read this.

Also, I'm still in awe at how well travelled this book has been! Isn't bookcrossing amazing! I'll be PMing deense and sending it on as soon as I have an address.

Sent to goldengirl58 in this afternoon's mail. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 33 by goldengirl58 from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, November 25, 2005
Received in the post this week :-) sorry i havent got around to posting that...

Journal Entry 34 by goldengirl58 from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, January 12, 2006
Finally inished this one....Sorry it took so long..
Will PM the next person and get it off in the mail

Journal Entry 35 by ShilpaM from Rydalmere, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 02, 2006
Thanks Goldergirl58. Book recieved while I was away. I've also got a copy of my own on it's way to me, sent by my bestest friend back in the UK so I'd rather wait till I get that one. Am PMing the next reader in line. Thenks for letting me be on this bookray!

Journal Entry 36 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 16, 2006
...and it's back with me. Thanks guys for being part of another successful bookray. You rock!

Journal Entry 37 by clare-pinki from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 20, 2006
Received from FushMush
This book was one of the ones I stayed awake to read late and night and even get up a little ealier to finish off on a Sunday morning! I enjoyed the creativitiy of the timeline, but did think the characters could have done with some more depth, especially Henry.
The love story was probably the most powerful - although the characters were in a nuique situation, I thought the story asked some interesting questions about pre-destination, choosing vs. knowing. Found this wuite interesting to ponder afterwards.