Lolita

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nwpassage of Prince George, British Columbia Canada on 6/1/2004
Journal Entry 1 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, June 01, 2004
From the front cover:

"The only convincing love story of our century."
-- Vanity Fair

From the back cover:

"Nabokov writes prose the only way it should be written, that is, ecstatically."
-- John Updike

Awe and exhilaration - along with heartbreak and mordant wit - about in Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov's most famous and controversial novel, which tells the story of the aging Humbert Humbert's obsessive, devouring, and doomed passion for the nymphet Dolores Haze. Lolita is also the story of a hypercivilized European colliding with the cheerful barbarism of postwar America. Most of all, it is a meditation on love - love as outrage and hallucination, madness and transformation.

"Intensely lyrical and wildly funny."
-- Time

One of the twentieth century's master prose stylists, Vladimir Nabokov was born in St. Petersburg in 1899. He studied French and Russian literature at Trinity College, Cambridge, then lived in Berlin and Paris, where he launched a brilliant literary career. In 1940 he moved to the United States, and achieved renown as a novelist, poet, critic, and translator. He taught literature at Wellesley, Standford, Cornell, and Harvard. In 1961 he moved to Montreux, Switzerland, where he died in 1977.

Journal Entry 2 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 30, 2004
I enjoyed this book when I read it several years ago, but I'm never going to read it again. Since it is much wished for, I've decided to make it a perpetual bookray!

Bookray so far:

kirst040 (Australia)
tantan (Australia)
???

Journal Entry 3 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 07, 2004
Since PMs between myself and both kirst040 and tantan are not getting through, jubby has agreed to take receipt of the book and get it on its way to kirst040, and hopefully from there to tantan and many other aussie bookcrossers.

If you are interested in reading this book, I suggest that you PM whoever currently has possession of it. I'm turning it loose, bon voyage!

*sigh* Wish it was me going to Australia!

Journal Entry 4 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 08, 2004
Mailed to jubby today.

Journal Entry 5 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, September 13, 2004
Received in the post today for Kirst040. Will pass onto her at meetup tomorrow night.

Can't believe it took so long in the post! Secretly suspect the postie stopped off and had a read...

Passing onto Kirst040

Journal Entry 7 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, September 14, 2004
Jubby brought this along to meetup tonight all the way from compscigirl in Canada. Thank you.

I'll read this next so I can pass it on.

Journal Entry 8 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, September 23, 2004
I was really expecting to dislike this book however I found myself entralled by Nabokov's prose and Humbert's madness. There was a humour about the book that made the subject matter a little less confrontational and while Humbert's actions were inexcusable, I think Lolita (and indirectly,her relationship with her mother) contributed to her victimisation, she was definitely not entirely innocent.

I enjoyed this, felt a little funny about reading it on the train though !! I haven't seen either of the movie adaptions so I think I'll be off to the video shop this weekend.

Off to tantan in Qld next. Thank you for setting this free nwpassage.

Update Monday 27/09/04: Mailed to tantan

Journal Entry 9 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, September 29, 2004
Received this today. It's a couple down on the pile of rings/rays, but it hopefully won't take me too long to get to it.

Journal Entry 10 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I'm glad I had the experience. The way Nabokov writes as well as his way of dealing with the subject matter helps me to see why it is usually near the top on all the 'Great Books' lists. Humberts actions were, as kirst040 stated, inexcusable, but he was not the only one to blame. Lolita's actions throughout showed that in many ways she was also to blame. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie versions of this also.

Journal Entry 11 by curdsandwhey from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, December 22, 2004
There has been much comment on this book on the bcaus list of late. With that and reading 'Reading Lolita in Tehran' I will be interested to see for myself.

Journal Entry 12 by nang from Bickley, Western Australia Australia on Monday, March 28, 2005
Borrowed from dw's shelf and going back to her now. Extraordinary description of obsession. What a minefield topic to write about but that makes it worth reading.