The Reader

by Bernhard Schlink | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jimmielegs of Paullina, Iowa USA on 6/1/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jimmielegs from Paullina, Iowa USA on Tuesday, June 01, 2004
A strange, but utterly absorbing love story.

Journal Entry 2 by jimmielegs from Paullina, Iowa USA on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Mailed off to calicocollie. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by calicocollie from Irondequoit, New York USA on Friday, October 29, 2004
Received from jimmielegs in trade for The Orchid Thief (audio) -- thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by calicocollie from Irondequoit, New York USA on Monday, December 06, 2004
Sending to Pequete as part of my "It's My Dog's Birthday" RABCK offer -- enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Pequete from Bragança, Bragança Portugal on Saturday, December 18, 2004
Arrived today, it looks great!. Thanks calicocollie and happy birthday to your dog!

Journal Entry 6 by Pequete from Bragança, Bragança Portugal on Saturday, June 03, 2006
Somehow, I was convinced that this was one of those "books about books". As it turned out, it is not, at least in the sense I am used to. It is a strange, melancholic a very well written story about love and moral dilemmas, which I enjoyed a lot. Thank you, calicocollie, for sharing it. It is now available to anyone who wants to have it.

Journal Entry 7 by Pequete at on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (1/9/2008 UTC) at

Released inside the Bookbox (Português e Inglês).

Journal Entry 8 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, January 14, 2008
Got it from the Bookbox.
I've read this book in 2006 and been wanting to give it another try, so I'll re-read it and then make it travel.
Here's what I wrote about it when I first read it:
"This is a fast book to read not only because it's a short one but especially because it's such a gripping story and a great narrative.
I really enjoyed reading it because I feel the nazi period is under exposed in German literature, and it's a neverending subject I'm sure.
The first love is always something of a problem and they say that the first kiss is the measure of all the others, Michael and Hanna's relationship will determine more in his life than he's willing to admit."

Journal Entry 9 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, January 14, 2008
Here's a synopsis from Library Journal:
"After falling ill on the street in the German town where he lives, 15-year-old Michael is helped by a woman named Hanna. When he returns to her apartment to thank her several months later, he begins a passionate love affair with her. In time, she demands that he read aloud to her before they make love, and they essay some of Germany's and the world's great literature together. One day, however, Hanna disappears without saying farewell, and Michael grieves and believes it to be his fault. He finds her again years later when, as a law student, he encounters her as the defendant in a court case. To reveal more of the plot would be unfair, but this very readable novel by German author Schlink probes the nature of love, guilt, and responsibility while painting a sympathetic portrait of Michael and an achingly complex picture of Hanna."

BRay rules:
- I think a month is time enough for you to read this book if you think you won't make it no problem, just let me know so I can post a little warning to the following BC'er, it's all a matter of courtesy;
- Please do not forget to make a JE when you get it and when you send it on to the next, that way we'll all know where the book is;
- There is no limit to people on this BRay, the more the merrier;
- I'll organize this by country so it won't be too pricey for anyone;
- Because life's hard for a lot of us, please feel free to ship by surface mail;
- The last person on the BRay is free to do with the book as he pleases, you might even want to help it continuing its journey.

Sending it to Moonwoolf today (22.01.2008)

Who's in:

- briz-cowgirl (Australia)
- Maria-Nunes (Portugal)
- skizeye9 (USA)
Done!

Journal Entry 10 by Moonwoolf from Azambuja, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, January 24, 2008
Arrived today!! Looking forward to read this novel.
Thanks for sharing.

18-02-2008=> Finished today. I felt this was a very cold and distant romance, didn't like much. But I enjoy the reading, it was quite simple.
Thanks for sharing. I'll contact the next on the list.

Journal Entry 11 by Moonwoolf at on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (2/26/2008 UTC) at

A caminho de Frangipani

Journal Entry 12 by Frangipani04 on Saturday, March 01, 2008
It's here! I'm going to read it very soon! Thanks for sending it, Moonwoolf.

Journal Entry 13 by Frangipani04 on Sunday, April 13, 2008
I finished reading the book some days ago, but I forgot to write a JE. I enjoyed reading this book. In particular, I liked the first part of the book, which describes the beginning of Michael and Hanna's relationship. Also, there are several almost philoshopical remarks in this first part that I considered to be very thought-provoking.

I'll keep here two short passages that I specially liked, for future reference:

"But today I can recognize tgat events back then were a part of a lifelong pattern in which thinking and doing have either come together or failed to come together - I think, I reach a conclusion, I turn the conclusion into a decision, and then I discover that acting on the decision is something else entirely, and that doing so may proceed from the decision, but then again it may not."

"Does everyone feel this way? When I was young, I was perpetually overconfident or insecure. Either I felt completely useless, unattractive, and worthless, or that I was pretty much a success, and everything I did was bound to succeed. When I was confident, I could overcome the hasrdest challenges. But all it took was the smallest setback for me to be sure that I was utterly worthless."

08/05 - sent today (sorry for the delay!)

Journal Entry 14 by Aelita from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, May 13, 2008
It arrived today. I'm looking forward to read this book and I hope I can do it soon.
Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by Aelita from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, June 23, 2008
I finished reading this book last week but I was in Azores, without internet, so sorry for the delay. The reading was interesting and well told, and I enjoyed reading it even dough its not the type of novel that I prefer. Thank you very much for sharing. I have already asked hippolein for the address, and I will send it as soon as possible. Thanks kizmiaz!

Sent on 25/06/2008

Journal Entry 16 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 30, 2008
The book arrived today, have some ringbooks before it, but will try to do my best. Thanks Aelita for sending it and kizmiaz for organising the Ray.

Journal Entry 17 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 14, 2008
Wonderful book, with a love story and side-track involving Germany during the war, loved it, although I have been wondering if I should try to get hold of the original version to get the special word-plays as they are intended. Certainly a book I looked forward to continue and to read!

Goes to Tuttasb as soon as I get the info!

Journal Entry 18 by winghippoleinwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 17, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (7/17/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book is leaving tonight to Greece. Hope it arrives safely and fast!

Journal Entry 19 by annadvarna on Friday, August 01, 2008
I just came back from holiday and found it in the post.THanks hippolein, I'll read it as soon as possible

Journal Entry 20 by annadvarna on Friday, August 08, 2008
I read it and I liked it a lot. More info here:
I am sending to the Netherlands today.

Journal Entry 21 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, August 15, 2008
And it arrived safely in my mailbox, thank you annadvarna and kizmiaz.

I'll start reading it as soon as I finish my current read.

Journal Entry 22 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Monday, August 18, 2008
I really enjoyed this book. I think it is a wonderful lovestory. I loved the beginning how Michael got to know Hanna and how their relationship developed. Hanna seems like a mysterious person, and when the story continues it becomes more clear why she doesn't tell much about herself. On the one hand I would like to more about her, on the other hand it's also good when she stays a bit mysterious. I was a bit dissappointed when Michael didn't have any feelings for Hanna anymore when the trial begin. But I really liked it that he started reading to her again, with the cassettes. I would like to know what would have happend when Hanna got out and what their relationship would be like. But this way I think it is a more fitting ending. Overal I think it is a very beautifully written book.

Journal Entry 23 by marsala at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/3/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sadly, Shangas, RustyReader2 and blue1236 all asked to be skipped, so the book is now travelling to briz-cowgirl.

Journal Entry 24 by briz-cowgirl from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Received 15/09 from Marsala, thank you! Reading it at the moment...

ADDIT 26/9/08: Finished! Easy-to-read book, I enjoyed it more than I expected. While Hanna and Michael's relationship left me a bit cold, I liked how the story developed in the second half with the trial and the change in dynamic. I am somewhat glad the book ended the way it did, I can't see the two of them really relating again once she returned to the community. Thank you for sharing this book; waiting for mailing details of the next participant...

Journal Entry 25 by briz-cowgirl at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, October 19, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/16/2008 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Posted to maria-nunes, the next participant in this bookring!

Journal Entry 26 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, November 06, 2008
It arrived today. Thanks!
Though I've already got three other b-rings with me now, I'll try not to keep it too long...

Journal Entry 27 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, November 14, 2008
Well, it turned to be a quite different book from what I expected...
Thanks for sharing.

it's on its way to "skizeye9"

Journal Entry 28 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Saturday, December 06, 2008
Received this week--thanks!

Can't wait to read. Received at the same time as another bookring, and since no one's behind me in line for this one, I'll read that one first--but I'll read this one right after!

Journal Entry 29 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Thursday, January 08, 2009
Wow. That was intense. Continually moves faster the further you get into it. I barely know what to make of it. It's really amazing they were both so affected but such a short time together really. I think though overall I found it very sad. Two people who I think didn't really know themselves and thus denied themselves finding true happiness.

Released 10 yrs ago (1/31/2009 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

To the most amazing woman in the world--I hope she enjoys.

Journal Entry 31 by Roo27 from Irmo, South Carolina USA on Saturday, January 31, 2009
The movie is out and has Kate Winslet receiving awards for her performance. Since I like her a lot I'm looking forward to reading the book.