Shogun

by James Clavell | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781982603847 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/27/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 27, 2024
I found this hefty softcover in this new-to-me Little Free Library in Gloucester, MA while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy.

I'd read the novel ages ago and enjoyed it, in part for the variety of characters - including some rather chilling ones - and the massive amount of culture clash. There's great beauty, almost unimaginable cruelty, and some impressive examinations of prejudices on all sides - not to mention the friendships, loyalties, and star-crossed-lovers aspects. (The 1980 mini-series adaptation was decent, though some of the impact of the characters' inner thoughts and motives was lost. The new 2024 mini-series airs soon and might be interesting.)

[There's a TV Tropes page on Clavell's "Asian Saga", of which this is the first book.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Grappone Toyota in Bow, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/27/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Grappone Toyota in Bow, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2024 TV Series challenge. **