Angela's Ashes: A Memoir of a Childhood

by Frank McCourt | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingTaryawing of Tammela, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on 2/7/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingTaryawing from Tammela, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
From amazon.com:

A Pulitzer Prize-winning, #1 New York Times bestseller, Angela's Ashes is Frank McCourt's masterful memoir of his childhood in Ireland.

“When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I managed to survive at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood.”

So begins the luminous memoir of Frank McCourt, born in Depression-era Brooklyn to recent Irish immigrants and raised in the slums of Limerick, Ireland. Frank’s mother, Angela, has no money to feed the children since Frank’s father, Malachy, rarely works, and when he does he drinks his wages. Yet Malachy—exasperating, irresponsible, and beguiling—does nurture in Frank an appetite for the one thing he can provide: a story. Frank lives for his father’s tales of Cuchulain, who saved Ireland, and of the Angel on the Seventh Step, who brings his mother babies.

Perhaps it is story that accounts for Frank’s survival. Wearing rags for diapers, begging a pig’s head for Christmas dinner and gathering coal from the roadside to light a fire, Frank endures poverty, near-starvation and the casual cruelty of relatives and neighbors—yet lives to tell his tale with eloquence, exuberance, and remarkable forgiveness.

Angela’s Ashes, imbued on every page with Frank McCourt’s astounding humor and compassion, is a glorious book that bears all the marks of a classic.

First published 1996
Flamingo 1997

Journal Entry 2 by wingTaryawing at Tammela, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Reserved for Tampere Convention 2024.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTaryawing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024

Released 4 wks ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

You can grab the book from the book buffet of Tampere Convention 2024! I hope you enjoy the Convention weekend in Tampere!

Lue ja vapauta - BookCrossing.com

Journal Entry 4 by wingwindhexewing at Dream Hostel Tampere in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, April 21, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (4/21/2024 UTC) at Dream Hostel Tampere in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Leftover from book buffet. So I took this one for the bookshelf in my hostel.
Happy bookcrossing day!
I hope to hear from this book one day again to see where it's going to.