The Picture of Dorian Gray

by Oscar Wilde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggorydetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/29/2024
Journal Entry 1 by winggorydetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, January 29, 2024
I got this handsome "illustrated edition" hardcover at a local Barnes and Noble, for another release copy. (It's illustrated with a variety of images, various works of art that might not have been created with this story in mind but that do evoke some of its characters and scenes.) The book also includes three of Wilde's essays on art.

I've read and enjoyed this book many times over the years. (I've also seen several of the film adaptations; the 1945 film is a favorite of mine, though not as faithful to the book as others.) The story is, of course, a classic - a tale of "be careful what you wish for", among other things. An incredibly beautiful and unspoiled young man is given some eye-opening hints by a bored aristocrat who wants to see what he can make of this beauty, and Dorian promptly exceeds his every expectation - with the help of a very special painting...

In my most recent re-reading of the book I was struck by a couple of things - first, I didn't have as much sympathy for Dorian as I did the first time or two that I read the book, as he seemed to give in to temptation far too easily. Second, there are some long descriptive passages about Dorian's explorations into the life of the senses, involving page after page of descriptions of jewels, costumes, paintings... I found these dull the first time I read the book, and now I find I can practically swim in them. Interesting. It's also interesting to me that Lord Henry's first step in influencing Dorian is to give him... a book!

[The TV Tropes page on the book and some of its adaptations may be of interest.]

Released 1 mo ago (6/14/2024 UTC) at LFL - Thornton Rd (34) Thornton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for:

** 2024 June Pride LGBTQ+ challenge **

** 2024 Movie challenge. **

** 2024 Theater challenge. **

Journal Entry 3 by NewEnglandHiker at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 15, 2024
Found this in the park's Little Free Library and looking forward to reading it.