The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family

by Ron Howard, Clint Howard | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/20/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 20, 2024
I got this hardcover from an online seller, for another release copy.

I really enjoyed this joint autobiography, with Ron and Clint taking turns (and sometimes inserting entertaining rebuttals/sidebars to each other's anecdotes). The brothers seem to have an excellent relationship – with each other and with their parents – and, for the most part, have had good experiences with their careers on the small and large screens. (Their father, Rance Howard, was a very capable actor himself, though for most of his career he played background roles – especially while supporting his sons in their child-actor years. His parenting style sounds awesome: involved, but not “helicopter” style, allowing the boys to explore options while living up to their responsibilities, answering their questions about difficult subjects with clear honesty. I was pleased to find that one of Rance Howard’s last roles was a stellar performance in the “ER” TV series, as a cutting-edge doctor, mentor to some of the series’ core characters, now in advanced age and floating in and out of the past as he’s dying. He manages to make a key diagnosis in a moment of lucidity, and his entire performance is amazing. Oh, and he portrayed the Appalachian family father Roy Luther in the lovely film Where the Lilies Bloom), yet another small but pivotal role.)

The Howard boys’ careers weren’t always without trauma, especially poor Clint, who as a child-actor was involved with more than one production that played horribly fast and loose with animal-welfare issues; those bits were hard for me to read. But overall the family sounds like a fine bunch of people, similar in some ways to my own family (and from the same era – Ron’s only a couple of years younger than I am), and I enjoyed their anecdotes about their lives as well as their careers.

I was pleased to find that not only did Ron have a lasting familial-type relationship with Andy Griffith and Don Knotts from his "Opie" days, but became very close with Henry Winkler despite Winkler's "Fonzie" taking over as central character in "Happy Days". (Winkler was godfather to all of Ron's kids!)

At that point in his career, Ron was angling to be a director, and he made good use of his many film-world connections and vast experience. He doesn't go into detail about many of his own films - though I was pleased to learn that he got his mother a role in "Apollo 13" as the mother of Jim Lovell. Among her bits - when she's introduced to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who hope to be of comfort during the tense hours before they learn the fate of Lovell and crew, she says "Are you boys in the space program too?" {grin} [Brother Clint had a role in the NASA crew, and father Rance had a part as a minister; the gang's all here!]

There was a key omission here - possibly deliberate? - in that the "Chuck Cunningham syndrome" struck again. Ron goes into considerable detail about "Happy Days," from the initial pilot to the cast to the ups and downs of its popularity - but he never mentions his character Richie Cunningham's older brother Chuck, who appeared in a few episodes in the first two seasons (played by different actors in each season) and then vanished, never to be mentioned again! (I had to look up the actors as I couldn't remember the character either, despite having watched the show from its premier. The first "Chuck" was played by Gavan O'Herlihy, whose later work featured an impressively terrifying role as a brutal killer in the mini-series "Lonesome Dove". (Maybe that's why they don't talk about Chuck {wry grin}.)

Overall, an involving autobiography and an interesting glimpse at the world of TV and film.

[There's a TV Tropes page on Ron Howard and many of his works, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 5, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/6/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the The Lives They Lived Biographies and Memoirs bookbox, which will be on its way soon. Hope people enjoy the selection!

Journal Entry 3 by wingLaveggioCoffeewing at Binghamton, New York USA on Sunday, February 11, 2024
Taking out of the Lives they Lived Biographies and Memoirs bookbox.

I'm a fan of Ron Howard so adding to MT TBR

Journal Entry 4 by wingLaveggioCoffeewing at Binghamton, New York USA on Thursday, March 21, 2024
I enjoyed this book very much. I was impressed with both of their detailed memories from early ages. Makes me want to revisit some of the movies directed by Ron.
Thanks for sharing.......will be sent off soon to another bookcrosser for the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLaveggioCoffeewing at Wishlist tag game, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, March 30, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (3/30/2024 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

sent off to another bookcrosser for the wishlist tag game......Enjoy

2024 Keep Them Moving Release Challenge
2024 RABCK Release Challenge

Journal Entry 6 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, April 2, 2024
Thanks so much for the tag. I look forward to reading it.