Happy International BookCrossing Day!
It's a special day for BookCrossing and we hope you'll make it a good one. Ballycumber just posted a short message in the Announcements forum, you can read it here.

The Scorching Wind

by Walter Macken | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cluricaune of Armagh, Co. Armagh United Kingdom on 1/10/2024
Journal Entry 1 by cluricaune from Armagh, Co. Armagh United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Walter Macken, a native of Galway, was born in 1915 and died in his home city at the age of 51. A writer, an actor and a playwright, he is perhaps best known for his novel "Flight of the Doves" - which was adapted for the cinema - and his "Irish Trilogy". "The Scorching Wind" is the third book of this trilogy, and is set in the early 1900s. Although the book itself is a work of fiction, many of the ''background'' events actually happened - for example, the Easter Rising of 1916, the partition of Ireland in 1921 and the Irish Civil War (1922-23).

The book opens in the West of Ireland in 1915, with two brothers resting in the shade of a haystack. Much to the disgust of their father, Dualta - the elder brother - has joined the British Army. Dualta believed the words of John Redmond, the leader of the Home Rule Party at Westminster. Redmond had suggested that Ireland would be granted Home Rule if the Irish Volunteers fought for the British in the Great War - a false promise. The book focuses more on Dominic, however - the younger of the two brothers. He sees his brother off to war, the pair travelling with a close friend called Poric into town. Poric has also disappointed Dominic''s father, his former teacher, by joining the police. Shortly after leaving his brother and friend. Dominic meets a man called Sam Browne - who gradually involves Dominic in the struggle for freedom. Among the many others who also become involved are Lowry, an acquaintance of Dominic''s at college and the pretty Finola Brady - not to mention Poric and Dualta, on his return from war.

While this is the third book in a trilogy, it''s not strictly necessary to read them in order. However, I think it's probably better if you do - if you enjoy one of them, I have no doubt you'll enjoy all three. It appears the heroes of the two previous books (Dominick, in "Seek the Fair Land" and Dualta, in "The Silent People") are ancestors of the two brothers. In a way, I found this to be the saddest book of the three, with the differences between the two brothers becoming more pronounced as the book progresses. (If you''ve enjoyed this book, you might also want to try "Call My Brother Back", by Michael McLaverty. It''s set in Belfast, at the same time as this book - McLavery, like Macken, is an excellent storyteller.)

Journal Entry 2 by cluricaune at Armagh, Co. Armagh United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
To the finder:

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. I hope you like the book, but I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what you thought of it by making another journal entry when you've finished it.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey.

If you've decided to sign up, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spamless !

Some faqs : http://www.bookcrossing.com/faqs

Thanks for stopping by, have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by cluricaune at James Joyce Irish Pub in Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Sunday, March 3, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/3/2024 UTC) at James Joyce Irish Pub in Praha, Praha Czech Republic

On a ledge, in the back part of the pub.