The Sheep's Tale

by John Lewis-Stempel | Outdoors & Nature |
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 1/5/2024
Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 5, 2024
An informative and affectionate look at sheep, 'our most misunderstood farm animal'. I learnt a huge amount about sheep from this book: their lives, their behaviour, their intelligence, their friendships and family groups, and especially their environmental benefit. John Lewis-Stempel is a wonderful writer and his love of his sheep shines through as he tells of his triumphs and failures over years of sheep farming.

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 5, 2024
This book travels as my favourite book of 2023.

The list of participants:

valpete
cross-patch
dark-draco
earthcaroleanne

I don't need this back but please pass it on to Poodlesister if she still has it on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 6, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (1/6/2024 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Posted to estelle1806, first on the list.

Journal Entry 4 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, January 12, 2024
Received, thank you, greenbadger. Let's go to the farm...

Journal Entry 5 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, January 18, 2024
Not a great start for the Favourite Book Roundabout this year, at least for me. I have no particular interest in sheep and this book did not create a new one... I liked reading about the historical sections referring to the wool production through times but that was about it.
Thanks for sharing all the same, greenbadger!

Journal Entry 6 by wingestelle1806wing at Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Thursday, January 18, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (1/19/2024 UTC) at Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany

On its way to grovalskii...

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 7 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Sunday, February 4, 2024
Ha, how funny greenbadger. You are from the UK and you are sharing a book about sheep. I find that very fitting. Let's see if I enjoy reading it more than estelle1806 did. :) I am intrigued!

Journal Entry 8 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, February 22, 2024
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was informative and also written in an entertaining way. Some fun facts: 8% of sheep are gay (who knew that was even possible!). And the "ancient Scottish clan tartans" apparently are not quite so ancient? There were a few pages I could have skipped, especially in the end, but all in all, this is a great non-fiction addition to the round about. Thanks for sharing, greenbadger!

The book now is on its way to the Netherlands.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, February 24, 2024
Arrived safely, thanks grovalskii!

Journal Entry 10 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, February 26, 2024
Well-written, and very interesting and entertaining too. And I felt it was a good thing that, whereas the book about cows we read last year kind of skirted the issue, this one was quite frank about what happens to these sheep at the end of their lives. It's all part of the story. The author has written many more books about other animals - I may keep an eye out for some of them. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Monday, February 26, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/26/2024 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

Travelling to Andrasthe.

Journal Entry 12 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Monday, March 4, 2024
Got it

Journal Entry 13 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Thursday, March 7, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/8/2024 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

It seems we have carried over a topic from last year: once again a novel about farming - this time - sheparding and sheep in the UK.

Having read another of this year's picks, I was looking out for the leading sheep and I was surprised to find only a few. The text focuses more on aspects such as the farmer's day-to-day, different kinds of sheep, history and philosophy. There are anecdotes as well as poems and articles. The author emphasises the positive effects traditional sheep-farming has on the environment and hints at his own personal and family history of having the animals for decades.

In all honesty, I have read enough on farming for a while and felt my mind wander from time to time. Especially in the end I sarted to skim rather than take my time with the text.

Still, I have gained new insights and learned quite a few things. So thanks for picking this book :)

Journal Entry 14 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, March 14, 2024
Arrived today. A few black (Ouessant) sheep are living on the other side of our fence. A newborn (3 days) is cavorting under our windows, so cute !

Journal Entry 15 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, March 25, 2024
I have to confess that I skimmed over this book. Am I too close to the topic with so many sheep all around? I'm happy to know that sheep droppings are good for the soil, better than cow's and that's a good thing.
Thank you greenbadger.

Journal Entry 16 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Released 2 wks ago (3/27/2024 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

The sheep is sailing towards Canada.

Journal Entry 17 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 6, 2024
This book is now with me in Canada!