Secrets of the Sprakkar

by Eliza Reid | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingschwesterwing of Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on 12/26/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingschwesterwing from Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Tuesday, December 26, 2023
I must have read about this book in some Austrian newspaper because it was released in German translation. I got myself an original English version copy (not sooo easy nowadays in Vienna) for Christmas.
Eliza Reid is Iceland's Canadian first lady and she writes about strong women, sprakkar.
I thought the idea of mental load (keeping in mind the timetables of all family members, or rather setting it up and reminding everyone several times a day of where to go and what to take there) really interesting - that's really a thing driving me crazy.
I read an article once where a (female) manager tells her (male) colleague "you know, I don't have a wife at home, I AM the wife at home", implying nobody buys new socks for her, but she buys socks not only for herself but for everyone else in the household. Yes yes.

When I was a teenager I thought one of the coolest areas to work in must be marketing, an opinion I can no longer understand at all. To spend money on convincing people to spend money on things they neither need nor want looks like a rather sad job to me, especially as there are a lot of real jobs (teaching, caring for the young, sick, elderly,...) vacant. I know you need the mindset, motivation, skills and education to do these real jobs, but if you manage a bullshit job, you can do a real one. Sorry, so this is my opinion on marketing. Well, and working in marketing for "providers of solutions for the meat, fish and poultry processing industries" sounds like a nightmare. How can you sit at a desk and write cheerful slogans to sell more machines for that sort of factories?! "...the company aura was positive and energetic." Wow.

The other thing is, I saw a lot of women what must look for an outsider to the situation like being held up by the glass ceiling when in fact they took a moral or ethic decision not to do something they were asked to because they thought it unethical in full knowledge this would kill the next career step. All of them were shaking their heads in pity for the guy who did it and became their boss. Those guys might earn more money - well, no, they don't! They just look more important to outsiders, and we're way too old for that sort of nonesense. But maybe this is a very special field.

I'm also a little irritated by the first lady thing. So this is not a job, ok. But it somehow is. You need to go to see some king and change your clothes several times a day, own matching gloves and hats and handbags and don't get a budget for that. We should really rethink that, times when the wife was automatically the wife and nothing else have gone by, if they ever existed.

Journal Entry 2 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Sunday, May 12, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (5/10/2024 UTC) at Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria

for R - Happy Birthday!