When We Had Wings

by Ariel Lawhon | Women's Fiction |
Registered by LFLHunter of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 12/25/2023
Journal Entry 1 by LFLHunter from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 25, 2023
Christmas Gift

January 2024 Revew: I found the book started off a bit slow fir me. I started this book knowing nothing about the nurses of Bataan or Japanese attacks on the Philippine Islands. I felt for the characters.

It is hard to believe Ida Hude was based on a real person, a German woman in occupied Philippines, who was granted such freedoms, and did so much.

More should be known about Battan, glad to learn dbout this corner of history.

InsideCover: The Philippines, 1941. When U.S. Navy nurse Eleanor Lindstrom, U.S. Army nurse Penny Franklin, and Filipina nurse Lita Capel forge a friendship at the Army Navy Club in Manila, they believe they’re living a paradise assignment. All three are seeking a way to escape their pasts, but soon the beauty and promise of their surroundings give way to the heavy mantle of war.

Caught in the crosshairs of a fight between the U.S. military and the Imperial Japanese Army for control of the Philippine Islands, the nurses are forced to serve under combat conditions and, ultimately, endure captivity as the first female prisoners of the Second World War. As their resiliency is tested in the face of squalid living arrangements, food shortages, and the enemy's blatant disregard for the articles of the Geneva Convention, the women strive to keep their hope— and their fellow inmates—alive, though not without great cost.

In this sweeping story based on the true experiences of nurses dubbed "the Angels of Bataan," three women shift in and out of each other's lives through the darkest days of the war, buoyed by their unwavering friendship and distant dreams of liberation.

Journal Entry 2 by LFLHunter at LFL - Turner Dr. in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/28/2024 UTC) at LFL - Turner Dr. in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Leaving this book in Turner Drive Book Exchange, it usually has some Bookcrossing books in it. Please consider making a journal entry, tell us where you found the book, or what you thought of the book after reading it. You can remain anonymous or join Bookcrossing. If you join Bookcossing you can find and release books, and see where they travel. Help make the world a place of traveling books.