Stormy Weather

by Carl Hiaasen | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by mrsjones of Hamilton, Ohio USA on 11/30/2023
Journal Entry 1 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Thursday, November 30, 2023
I've always liked Carl Hiaasen's books, mainly for their quirky characters and Florida setting. Those two things just go hand-in-hand. I miss living there sometimes.

Now this book is on its (way overdue) way to perryfran as a wishlist tag. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, December 7, 2023
Thanks for sending this wishlist tag book. I've been a fan of Hiaasen's for years but have not read this one even though I previously owned a copy that got discarded before my last move. Looking forward to reading this one!

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, January 23, 2024
In STORMY WEATHER, Hiaasen satirizes what happens after a Florida hurricane. The story focuses on the shoddy construction that occurred before the storm, the payoffs that resulted in the poor construction, greedy would-be construction workers and roofers trying to take advantage of the devastation, and schemes to defraud the insurance companies after the storm. The story, as usual, includes some very demented characters who try to make a killing on the destruction caused by the storm. This includes a beautiful young woman who was in Florida to try to seduce one of the Kennedys and winds up partnering with an ex-con named Snapper to try and fleece a homeowner hit by the hurricane. Snapper is called that because of his shocking appearance including a dislocated jaw. Other characters include Avila, a building inspector who didn't really inspect the houses and trailers that were destroyed during the storm and who performs blood sacrifices to help his cause; a young newlywed couple who were honeymooning at Disneyworld but after the storm the husband decides to rush south to capture the devastation on video; a man who owns a wild animal preserve that also has a collection of skulls that he likes to juggle; and of course Skink, the ex-governor of Florida who lives in the wilderness and was hoping the hurricane would be more devastating and was not thrilled with the young husband taking video of its aftermath. Skink is a recurring character in several of Hiaasen's works and is one of my favorites.

Carl Hiaasen has been one of my favorite authors for the past couple of decades. I always enjoy his humorous romps through South Florida and his cast of the wacky denizens living there. STORMY WEATHER was another enjoyable romp but unfortunately, after reading this one I only have a couple of his adult novels left to read. Maybe I'll put them off for a while to have something to look forward to.

Journal Entry 4 by wingperryfranwing at A RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 5, 2024

Released 4 mos ago (2/6/2024 UTC) at A RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Including this as a RABCK. Not sure if you have read this one but thought you might enjoy it since it mostly takes place in the Florida Keys. For reading or releasing. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSandyPAwing at Key West, Florida USA on Wednesday, February 14, 2024
Very excited to find this included with my wishlist tag book! I’ve enjoyed Carl Hiaasen and this one is one I’ve looked at reading so thank you SO much for making an unspoken wish come true. Looking forward to an adventure. Perfect read while we are living here. Heartfelt thanks, perryfran. Thoughtful of you to send this.

BTW, I just recently read “Chomp”, one of his children’s books. It was great!

Journal Entry 6 by wingSandyPAwing at Key West, Florida USA on Monday, February 19, 2024
How can I rate this any less than nine or ten after reading this book in three days (record time for me) while suffering through some kind of flu? Carl Hiaasen is genius! I shudder to think where he gets ideas for the many zany characters he creates and brings to life. Very thankful for this printed copy you randomly sent, perryfran, as I couldn’t look at a screen, including my white paper Kindle, but quickly became addicted to the humorous adventure on these pages. Laughter truly is the best medicine and there were many laughs despite Hurricane Andrew devastation. My third. Carl Hiaasen read is now my favorite. Of course it helps to be in the perfect place to read this book: Key West. I will now be on the lookout for Skink but if I see a deformed jaw, I will shudder. I agree with Kirkus Review, “If you’re not laughing by page six, you need a complete checkup.”
Grateful for the timing of this RABCK. Thank you…

Released 3 mos ago (3/7/2024 UTC) at LFL - Whitehead St (601) #15752 Green Parrot Bar in Key West, Florida USA

My husband read and enjoyed this so now… Perfect place to release this adventurous book, my favorite Little Free Library on the streets in Key West. Fairly certain Skink fans, wannabes and perhaps Skink himself frequent this place.

This book started its journey in Ohio, traveled to California and then back across the USA to wind up here in Key West, Florida. If you like it, take it and write a journal entry at www.BookCrossing.com - it’s easy and anonymous. Then when you are done with it, find a nice person or place to release it. We look forward to reading your thoughts on this book and finding out where you got it from. This book is on an adventure we can share with it.

Enjoy!

“When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” ~Kate DiCamillo, a storyteller