Cutting for Stone

by Abraham Verghese | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 11/27/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, November 27, 2023

The cover text reads:

A hidden love, family secrets and a country in turmoil

My brother, Shiva, and I came into the world in the late afternoon of the twentieth of September in the year of grace 1954. We took our first breaths in the thin air of Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.

Bound by birth, we were driven apart by bitter betrayal. No surgeon can heal the wound that divides two brothers. Where silk and steel fail, story must succeed.

The story of an obsessive surgeon, a dedicated nurse, a run-down hospital for the poor in Addis Ababa, and twin boys born at the hospital who are inevitably drawn to become doctors and part of the fabric of the hospital themselves. Of course, it's much more complicated than that, with enormous upheavals in their lives after they are obliged to walk in the circles of people on the wrong side of history.

Journal Entry 2 by wingengelsmanwing at Wassenaar, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 13, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/13/2024 UTC) at Wassenaar, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

passed onto a friend in Wassenaar