Frozen in Time The Fate of the Franklin Expedition

Registered by LFLHunter of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 11/20/2023
Journal Entry 1 by LFLHunter from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 20, 2023
Review: I watched a documentary on the Franklin Expedition many years ago. I found this book interesting, although I was familiar with the story, and some of the science already. I definitely learned bits about the time period, and knowledge at the time from this book. It had a stamp from Summers Common Little Free Libraries in Burlington (where I found it) and a price sticker from Glenbow Museum in Alberta, so this book already had some travel adventures, before I found it.

Book Overview: Frozen in Time tells the dramatic story of how Sir John Franklin's elite naval forces came within sight of the Northwest Passage, only to succumb to unimaginable horrors. A gripping tale of cannibalism, bureaucratic hubris, great courage and ground-breaking science, it shows how the excavation of three sailors from the 1845-48 Franklin expedition, buried for 138 years on the Arctic headland of Beechey Island, has shed new light on what has been one of the world's great maritime mysteries.

Edit: As I read this book I knew I read another book about the Franklin Expedition but could not remember the title. It was Fatal Passage
by Ken McGoogan, the two books had different perspectives and I enjoyed them both.

Put aside for cestmoi

Journal Entry 2 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (11/29/2023 UTC) at Burlington, Ontario Canada

Passing this book along to cestmoi who asked for this book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 1, 2023
Thanks for this, I've been wanting to read it for a while. It's next up on the TBR list.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
This was a RABCK from my new bookcrossing acquaintance LFLHunter. Thank you!

I only knew about the Franklin Expedition from reading about it in other novels or referenced in other non fiction books I had read about the time period and exploration in general.

I knew they had all perished and had a vague idea it was from scurvy, so this was so interesting to learn that it was lead poisoning that was the real culprit.

The descriptions of their life on ship, on land and the trials of the journey were fascinating!