River Thieves

by Michael Crummey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by AngelChild of Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on 5/29/2004
Journal Entry 1 by AngelChild from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, May 29, 2004
Came in a job lot....... Will probably never read it so i'll set it free :o)

River Thieves is a beautifully written and compelling novel that breathes life into the pivotal events which shaped relations between the Beothuk Indians of Newfoundland and European settlers. Following a series of expeditions made under the order of the British Crown, the reader witnesses the tragic fallout from these missions as the Beothuk vanish and the web of secrets guarded by the settlers slowly begin to unravel ... Told in elegant sensual prose this is an enthralling historical novel of great passion and suspense, driven by the extraordinary cast of characters. And with it Michael Crummey establishes himself as one of Canada's most exciting new talents.

Released on Sunday, May 30, 2004 at Sent In Post To Newfoundland Canada in Kent, UK, A RABCK Controlled Releases.

On Its Way To stardustnf In Newfoundland Canada

Journal Entry 3 by stardustnf from St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Saturday, June 12, 2004
Received this in the mail yesterday. Thanks so much, caffcaff, for sending me this book from my wishlist!!

Journal Entry 4 by stardustnf from St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Tuesday, November 29, 2005
I read this quite some time ago (sorry for not journalling sooner!!), and absolutely loved it. I think part of the reason I was drawn in was due to the setting....I live in Newfoundland, and could easily picture the places spoken about in the book. But the other reason I so enjoyed this book was Crummey's wonderful use of prose...it isn't difficult to see that he is a poet, as the language he uses has such great imagery, it brings the characters and storyline alive. An absolute joy to read and highly recommended. Hopefully caffcaff doesn't mind, but I'm marking this for my Permanent Collection, at least for now, as I think I'll want to read it again.