Dashing Through the Snowbirds

by Donna Andrews | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/1/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
I got this paperback at a local Barnes and Noble. It's another entry in the "Meg Langslow" series, about blacksmith-turned-amateur-sleuth Meg and her ever-increasing posse of extended family and neighbors as they go through wacky antics while solving crimes.

This one deals with the ups and downs of DNA analysis, especially as it pertains to genealogical research. Meg's brother Rob has put part of his software company into a deal to create an app for a new find-your-relatives service - but it turns out that the people they're working with are shady at best, and unhappy clients are coming out of the woodwork. Issues include the importance of reliable testing, and of confidentiality, with examples of what can go wrong when these are overlooked.

That part's all quite serious, but of course the story goes into its usual whimsical areas as Meg and company try to juggle the demands of the holiday season with the challenges of having a horde of unhappy Canadian developers stuck at Meg's house. Birdwatching pops up, with the titular snowbirds (aka dark-eyed juncos, a bird I see at my feeders sometimes) are supposedly harbingers of snowstorms.

The murder victim here is the very-much-disliked-and-untrustworthy head of the new company, and his death brings a number of suspicious folk out of the woodwork - including at least one whose motivations are pretty bizarre. But Meg and co. are up to the task, even if Meg does get taken hostage AGAIN, however briefly.

As ever, I enjoyed hanging out with this chaotic but good-hearted assortment of characters, secure in the knowledge that somehow they'll manage to fix pretty much anything!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Lull Farm, 65 Broad St. in Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 9, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/9/2023 UTC) at Lull Farm, 65 Broad St. in Hollis, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a shelf near the entrance to the farm stand, among the holiday greenery; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2023 Decemberish holiday challenge. **

** Released for the 2023 D for December challenge. **

Journal Entry 3 by Seabird37 at Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, December 14, 2023
I found the book at the farmstand in Hollis, and read it. An amusing story - not my usual genre, but half the fun of a found book is experiencing something you wouldn't have otherwise picked up! I released it on a nice bench in downtown Nashua.