The Reason for the Darkness of the Night

by John Tresch | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingcestmoiwing of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 1/9/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingcestmoiwing from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
This is so much more than autobiography about Poe. It is a recollection of the time he lived in; the science, the politics, the economics and the social structure. From this, we learn how Poe was influenced by all this and how it came out in his writing. I learned that Poe, during his time, was more famous as a critic than a poet or author and that although he had success, he was plagued by his own demons; addiction and poor mental health. His life was fascinating and almost reads as a tragic fictional character.

I'm passing this along to my son who is also a huge Poe fan.

From amazon.ca:
In The Reason for the Darkness of the Night, John Tresch offers a bold new biography of a writer whose short, tortured life continues to fascinate. Shining a spotlight on an era when the lines separating entertainment, speculation, and scientific inquiry were blurred, Tresch reveals Poe’s obsession with science and lifelong ambition to advance and question human knowledge. Even as he composed dazzling works of fiction, he remained an avid and often combative commentator on new discoveries, publishing and hustling in literary scenes that also hosted the era’s most prominent scientists, semi-scientists, and pseudo-intellectual rogues. As one newspaper put it, “Mr. Poe is not merely a man of science—not merely a poet—not merely a man of letters. He is all combined; and perhaps he is something more.”

Taking us through his early training in mathematics and engineering at West Point and the tumultuous years that followed, Tresch shows that Poe lived, thought, and suffered surrounded by science—and that many of his most renowned and imaginative works can best be understood in its company. He cast doubt on perceived certainties even as he hungered for knowledge, and at the end of his life delivered a mind-bending lecture on the origins of the universe that would win the admiration of twentieth-century physicists. Pursuing extraordinary conjectures and a unique aesthetic vision, he remained a figure of explosive contradiction: he gleefully exposed the hoaxes of the era’s scientific fraudsters even as he perpetrated hoaxes himself.

Tracing Poe’s hard and brilliant journey, The Reason for the Darkness of the Night is an essential new portrait of a writer whose life is synonymous with mystery and imagination—and an entertaining, erudite tour of the world of American science just as it was beginning to come into its own.

Journal Entry 2 by wingcestmoiwing at LFL - 671 Bendamere Ave in Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 4, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/4/2024 UTC) at LFL - 671 Bendamere Ave in Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Passed this along to my son.

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!

If you found this at a LFL (Little Free Library) or other book exchange shelf, then you already have BookCrossing spirit! So why not join us in making the whole world a library?

If you have a moment, we'd love you to let us know you have the book as we're keen to follow its journey. You can even post a review when you've read it before passing it on to the next lucky person or if you love it, it's yours to keep!

Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!