A Memory of Violets

by Hazel Gaynor | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jessibud of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 10/24/2023
Journal Entry 1 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 24, 2023
This was the first book by Hazel Gaynor that I read and it remains one of my favourites. There needs to be a category here for historical fiction as that is what Gaynor writes and she does such a wonderful job. This is the story of the *flower girls* of London and spans 2 timelines. Based on real events, Gaynor brings to life a time not known much about these days. I found myself thinking about the characters long after closing the book and of course, I had to google to learn more about this time and the events. I find myself doing that after every Hazel Gaynor book I read!

What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift, no strings attached. You may keep it forever and ever, pass it on to a friend, or release it into the wild like I did.

If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site, welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (it's free!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, jessibud, as the member who referred you. Or you may remain anonymous!

If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book! Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Thanks, and happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 29, 2023
I picked up a lot of your books yesterday! This one called to me just because the title sounded so lyrical.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
This is the first Gaynor novel I've read and I thank jessibud for introducing me to her. I loved this novel. I loved the writing, the characters, the setting - the plot - everything. It just flows so well.

I loved the differences between the two sets of sisters with so much in common yet so different. Both 'big' sisters have younger sisters that they love and adore. In one case, (Tilly and Esther) that love and adoration turns into something else that leads to a tragedy and keeps the sisters emotionally apart for most of their lives even though they live in the same house. The other two sisters, (Florrie and Rosie) are torn apart by a tragedy, yet remain emotionally close even though they don't even know where the other one is.

I liked how the story came full circle and how it shows that life is full of happy, serendipitous coincidences that make life a mystery.

The tone of this novel reminded me very much of Kate Morton's novels with the almost other-worldliness that plays around the edges of Tilly's life.

I also went googling after I read "The Story Behind the Book" and about John Groom (at the end of the book in the Insights, Interviews and More section. I was fascinated with this part of London history.

The Lost World of Floriography (in the same section) was so interesting and a lovely piece of history to come upon. I knew flowers had meanings but didn't realise that so many had meanings and was pleased to discover that Lilacs represent the first emotions of love. When I was 17 I was madly in love with a boy. We met in early April and by the time we were both head over heels it was mid-May and the lilacs were in full bloom. We spent a lot of time in the park walking under the lilacs and so now, whenever I see or smell the first lilac of the season, my mind goes back to that Spring and that boy.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 16, 2023
Reserved for LFLHunter.

Journal Entry 5 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Thank you, I have been enjoying Hazel Gaynor books lately.

Journal Entry 6 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 14, 2024
I loved this book, the author does such a wonderful job tieing relationships, generations together in her works of historical fiction. I always feel her books are well researched and thought out, I look forward to reading more by this author. I felt for all the characters.