A Dog Walks Into a Nursing Home

by Sue Halpern | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CavyNomes of Wentworth Falls, New South Wales Australia on 10/17/2023
Journal Entry 1 by CavyNomes from Wentworth Falls, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 17, 2023
A layabout mutt turned therapy dog leads her owner to a new understanding of the good life.

In late adolescence, Pransky was she needed a job. and so Sue Halpern decided to give herself and her underoccupied Labradoodle a new leash—er, lease—on life by getting the two of them certified as a therapy-dog team. Pransky proved to be not only a terrific therapist, smart and instinctively compassionate, but an unerring moral compass as well. In the unlikely-sounding arena of a public nursing home, she led her teammate into a series of encounters with the residents that revealed depths of warmth, humor, and insight Halpern hadn’t expected. Little by little, their adventures expanded and illuminated Halpern’s sense of what goodness is and does—how acts of kindness transform the giver as well as the given-to.

Funny, moving, and profound, A Dog Walks into a Nursing Home is the story of how one virtuous—that is to say, faithful, charitable, loving, and sometimes prudent—mutt showed great hope, fortitude, and restraint (the occasional begged or stolen treat notwithstanding) as she taught a well-meaning woman the essence and pleasures of the good life.

Journal Entry 2 by CavyNomes at Wentworth Falls, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Released 7 mos ago (10/17/2023 UTC) at Wentworth Falls, New South Wales Australia

Travelling direct to another user for a wishlist tag.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, October 20, 2023
Arrived today and I used a bookplate with a lovely dog on to add the BCID. This looks like a lovely read. Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 4 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 15, 2024
A very moving account of Pransky and the author’s nursing home visits. I really enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, April 15, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

A wishlist book travelling to the Tampere Convention for Azuki.

Join UK Bookcrossers at the BCUK Durham Unconvention from 20-22 September 2024

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
Gosh that doggie face downright melts my heart already.... Not to mention the doggies all over the wrapper...

Thank you so much, yes, I am sure I will enjoy this one so very much.

So glad to be sharing books w you, you have always been such a great BCer. And I hear you about the convention. I have a few things I ordered that didn't make it to my house in time...