The Moonstone

by Wilkie Collins | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingcestmoiwing of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 10/2/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingcestmoiwing from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 2, 2023
From amazon.com:
Rachel Verinder, a young Englishwoman, inherits a large Indian diamond on her eighteenth birthday. It is a legacy from her uncle, a corrupt English army officer who served in India. The diamond is of great religious significance as well as being extremely valuable, and three Hindu priests have dedicated their lives to recovering it. The story incorporates elements of the legendary origins of the Hope Diamond (or perhaps the Orloff Diamond).

The Moonstone was published in 1868 and is considered by most people to be the first detective novel. Given the novels place in the history of the genre, that alone should put this book on most people's reading lists.

Journal Entry 2 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 5, 2023
I picked this up because I had a Sherlock Holmes novel (sort of a cover of Sherlock Holmes by Sam Siciliano) - called The Moonstone Curse so it made sense to read The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins first.

It's a ponderous novel with several narrators who are witty and self-absorbed. I especially liked Betteridge and his reliance on Robinson Crusoe as his guiding light for his life.

It's very heavy, Victorian, flowery language but it flows nicely and and is an interesting story - and I can see where Agatha Christie took some ideas for her novels.

I have a few other Wilkie novels sitting on the TBR pile so I might pull them closer to the top. I enjoyed this very much!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcestmoiwing at -- controlled release in Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 9, 2023

Released 4 mos ago (12/9/2023 UTC) at -- controlled release in Hamilton, Ontario Canada

I am distributing a few bags and boxes of books to LFL owners in the Hamilton/Burlington area for them to distribute.

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!

If you found this at a LFL (Little Free Library) or other book exchange shelf, then you already have BookCrossing spirit! So why not join us in making the whole world a library?

If you have a moment, we'd love you to let us know you have the book as we're keen to follow its journey. You can even post a review when you've read it before passing it on to the next lucky person or if you love it, it's yours to keep!

Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Journal Entry 4 by LFLHunter at LFL - Turner Dr. in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (1/3/2024 UTC) at LFL - Turner Dr. in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Leaving this book in a front yard library, Turner Drive Book Exchange. Please consider making a journal entry, tell us where you found the book, or what you thought of the book after reading it. You can remain anonymous or join Bookcrossing. If you join Bookcrossing you can catch and release books and watch them travel.