Chasing the Sun

by Jonathon Green | History |
Registered by justspecimens of Candia, New Hampshire USA on 9/30/2023
Journal Entry 1 by justspecimens from Candia, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 30, 2023
I enjoyed the book until the small print got to be too much for my poor eyesight. Once I find a large-print or ebook, I will be happy to continue reading it

Released 6 mos ago (10/16/2023 UTC) at Little Free Library, Auburn Historical Society in Auburn, New Hampshire USA

Released on a pleasant autumn afternoon

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 15, 2023
I found this book in the Little Free Library while dropping off some books of my own - and now I wonder if that was you, justspecimens; I should have said hello! Anyway, I like biographies-of-things and have read a couple of other books about dictionaries and those who made them, so I was delighted to find this one.

Later: interesting look at the history and practice of dictionaries and the making of same - with some deep dives into the often-quirky people who found themselves drawn to the practice of compiling All. The. Words. Some were familiar to me, including Professor James Murray, who led the committee to create the Oxford English Dictionary. (His photo's in this book, and he looks remarkably like Albus Dumbledore.) He featured in Simon Winchester's The Professor and the Madman (aka The Surgeon of Crowthorne), and gets considerable attention in this book as well. And the Merriam-Webster dictionary was the core of Kory Stamper's Word By Word, which went into entertaining detail on the modern-day compilation and updating of dictionaries.

This book goes back to the early forms of dictionaries - though it also has to do some defining-of-terms, as "dictionary" didn't always mean what we see today. But people have attempted to categorize words for almost as long as there have been written languages, and this book covers the ways in which those efforts have changed, been refined, been abused, and become digitized over the millennia. (It does tend to focus on English-language dictionaries, at least once it reaches the 18th century or so. I'd be interested in a history of Asiatic-language dictionaries; might be quite a challenge in languages with pictograph elements.)

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 16, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/16/2024 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Books I've Read and Journaled Bookbox #3 (mailing order in the forum thread); bookbox journal with my selections here.

Released for:

** 2024 Great Backyard Bird Count challenge, for the cute owl on the publisher's logo. [See GBBC info here.] **

** 2024 Keep Them Moving challenge. **

Journal Entry 5 by winghaahaahaa98wing at Watertown, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, February 21, 2024
Reserving from the Books I Have Actually Read Bookbox Rd. #3. Seems interesting. I've read books about dictionaries before.