The Hanging Garden

by Ian Rankin | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingCassandra2020wing of Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/2/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassandra2020wing from Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 2, 2024
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID).

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, Cassandra2020, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry then a release note: either 'controlled' if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a 'wild' release if you are leaving it somewhere hoping for anyone to catch.

Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 2, 2024
I read this back in 2017. This isn't my copy, but here are my thoughts at the time:

The Hanging Garden by Ian Rankin - Good

Of all the crime books I read, the Rebus series are the nearest to realistic. The rest are either cosy and/or country house style like Agatha Christie, or remarkably far fetched like the number of murders that occur in Oxford in the Morse books. I'm not saying that Edinburgh is really the hotbed of murder and gang warfare that is insinuated in these books, but they have a grain of realism about them.

This book has Rebus looking into the background of an elderly resident of Edinburgh's New Town who just might be a Nazi War Criminal, just as the repercussions of the latest attrocities in The Balkans come home to roost in the shape of warlords now running drugs and prostitution into the city. Gang warfare is starting to impact on Edinburgh's streets and strikes close to home drawing Rebus in deeper and deeper.

Good pace, well written, nicely drawn together at the end, only worked out one of the clues before Rebus did. My only quibble, good as it was, is I don't see why it was listed in The Guardian's 1000 best novels

It was good, but not *that* good.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassandra2020wing at Little Free Library - Roslin in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 24, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/24/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library - Roslin in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!